How many packets of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 6 gallon IPA tomorrow with an estimated OG of 1.060. I'm wondering whether to use 1 11g packet of Danstar BRY-97 or 2?
Mrmalty.com says I can use 1 packet of dry yeast and need 231 billion cells but the Danstar website states that there are 5 billion cells of yeast per gram so 11gr would mean 55 billion cells in a packet which isn't enough according to the Malty website.

Either one properly rehydrated packet or two packets sprinkled dry.

Don't make a starter with dry yeast.

Thanks. Used one and rehydrated, although seems slow to start.

Don't worry. BRY-97 often gets off to a slow start (as much as 36 hours lag), but it gets the job done with a nice clean flavor if you hold it around 64-65*F until it begins to slow. I like it for my summer pale ale recipie.

I do however think I will use 2 packets next time. It's taken way too long to get off. The airlock's bubbling but it's still not the same kick off I would usually expect from US-05.

I have 2 packs of US-05 and I think I will pour both to my 5gal Double IPA batch.

It should be just 15g, but 1 package contains 11g, so I will not leave this 7g left from second package, just use all of it...

What do you think?

I do however think I will use 2 packets next time. It's taken way too long to get off. The airlock's bubbling but it's still not the same kick off I would usually expect from US-05.

That's because it's not US-05, read BigFloyd's reply. One pack of dry yeast is fine for a 1.060 beer if it's re-hydrated.

I have 2 packs of US-05 and I think I will pour both to my 5gal Double IPA batch.

It should be just 15g, but 1 package contains 11g, so I will not leave this 7g left from second package, just use all of it...

What do you think?

For a DIPA I'd use all of it. What's the OG?

What do you think?

I am by no means a scientist but I have personally expirienced and read about people over pitching and in a dumbed down description (and I mean DUMBED down) that when you overpitch a style such as an IPA that once your yeasties have ate up all them sugars it starts latching onto your hops and pulling down that beautiful hop flavor and aroma down into the trub never to be tasted. Makes for a happy sink, not a happy drinker.

-Clam

What do you think?

If your calculator says to use 15, then save the other 7 for something else. Pitch what you need to and not more or less.

That's because it's not US-05, read BigFloyd's reply. One pack of dry yeast is fine for a 1.060 beer if it's re-hydrated.

Not in all cases. It has to depend on the manufacturer.
Fermentis advertise more cells in a 11g of Us-05 that Danstar do in a pack of West Coast.

What do you think?

I would use two for sure with a double.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Danstar website actually says it's between 5-10 billion per gram, so just use 7.5 as your ball park number?

Personally, if I were doing my calculations and I came up way short, I'd rather make a starter than buy 2 packets, but I do 10 gallon batches so I'm always making a starter either way with dry yeast packets.

Back