How many of you guys aerate with an oxygen tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al-Kaholik

Reaction score
Bought a disposable oxygen tank (benzomatic) for aerating wort. They are surprisingly hard to come by but was able to find one a few towns over. Thoughts on using this vs shaking the fermenter?

Thanks

i've never needed to oxygenate my wort, but a lot of people do it. but that looks like it's what i was thinking of, didn't know they sold them as a individual part....

Over 30 years of brewing and I have not used O2 and have never had a problem where I thought O2 would help.

Not saying O2 doesn't do anything, but I have never had the need. I guess I just don't know what I am missing with not using O2.

I almost exclusively use liquid yeast, and 'shake' all my brews to get O2 into the wort. I've never made a Utopia, but have successfully pushed the abv to 14% a few times.

I got this one off amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXH3CH1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Just did my first brew session last week (it's fermenting now) and forgot to shake it or use this so that's good to hear that it still has a chance.

I run a similar regulator, but with the diffusion stone on a wand. I get the Bernzomatic oxygen tanks from the local Ace hardware, about $13/ea.

Usually run one for 1-2mins for each batch, one tank has lasted at least 7 batches.

It's prolly overkill, but I like the peace of mind.

I run a similar regulator, but with the diffusion stone on a wand. I get the Bernzomatic oxygen tanks from the local Ace hardware, about $13/ea.

Usually run one for 1-2mins for each batch, one tank has lasted at least 7 batches.

It's prolly overkill, but I like the peace of mind.
I do the same, usually a minute for ales and 2 for the lager I just brewed. I had a hard time finding them too, Ace or a small locally owned hardware store is the best place to look.

I used them for a little while. I bought a wand and diffuser for it. But I went through too many too quickly - I think they all leaked a little. I would get like 2 or 3 batches then I would be out again. And they were hard to find sometimes. I switched to shaking or using an aquarium pump with filter and diffuser, depending on what I feel like.

Yep. Had to pay for the cylinder. Presumably it will be cheap to refill, but I’m never going to need to refill it.
Thanks. I need that. I bought one of those disposable ones and literally after one use the can was done. Maybe it was sitting or something but I’m not doing that again. Do you have a pic of your tank?

Sure. Sitting next to my keezer’s CO2 tank. Blichmann oxygen regulator.
488A3B87-A614-41E2-8EEA-40B9E08C87AF.jpeg

I have been pitching the yeast and filling the headspace with pure oxygen. As the oxygen diffuses in, the yeast will mop it right up. The typical 60 seconds for ale and 90-120 seconds for lagers works fantastic with no extra gear to clean. With my all rounders it can result in a couple psi of pressure which is fine for ale yeast.

I have used both tanks and a dump & stir method. When using tank oxygen with a diffusion stone make sure you pull the stone off after each & boil it for 15 minutes & you’ll never run into a clogged diffuser. Sometimes if I run out of oxygen I go back to the old & successful method. I never had a problem using the old method. I haven’t found either method to work better. I believe that keeping things simple gives you consistent results.

I used to use the little Benzomatic cylinders but switched over to a regular Oxygen cylinder, I run Spike Conicals, with a TC diffuser, makes the process a lot cleaner/smoother when fermenting.

Oh no!! We're not going to talk about the oxygen boogie woogie again, are we? I just put my wort in a vessel with more head room than I should. :)

I noticed a comment about "food grade" oxygen. Some cylinders are marked "medical oxygen" but that means that the cylinder is certified as having no contaminants. These cylinders come with a hefty price boost. The oxygen charged in them is the same as regular industrial oxygen as used in welding. Oxygen obtained from a welding supply house is perfectly fine.

Since going to oxygen, my ferments start quicker, proceed at a predictable rate, and finish consistently. I have the same basic set-up as AlexKay posted in his photo. Between the oxygen injection and usage of a stir plate, things are going well.

With the exception of the first couple years (of the twelve I've been brewing) when I gently stirred the wort as the yeast was tossed, I've never done anything to intentionally 'oxygenate' the wort. That is not counting allowing the syphon hose from the kettle to the fermenter to not submerge in that process.

Never aerated with pure O2. I did aerate my first four batches by shaking. I haven't aerated since and things seem no better or worse other than less fuss for me on brew day. I have always used dry yeast which the manufacturer claims aeration in unnecessary. If I used liquid yeast, then I'd probably aerate by some method.

I've been oxygenating with industrial oxygen for over 30 years. Nothing but good as a result. Never a stuck fermentation and the yeast get busy right away. As stated earlier medical grade and industrial grade are the exact same. Only difference is tank and cost. Of course because it says medical grade on those skinny little tanks, they are worth a lot more money, NOT.

The small disposable tanks work well and last several brews if you use them right. I just turn the regulator on to the minimal amount to get oxygen to flow and then remove them from the canister when not in use to prevent leaks. If you can find them, they are a cheap way to provide the yeast with a little better growing environment. I think my fermentations start and finish faster when I oxygenate but I am sure it is not mandatory. The aquarium pumps are worthless from the studies I have read which just pump in room air.

My aquarium pump and diffuser works great and I don’t have to buy any consumables to use it. It works especially well if I leave it in the starter or the fermentation vessel until it’s going hard. I guess I could pay $100 to get the Regulator and use my oxyacetylene tank. But I probably won’t bother.

My aquarium pump and diffuser works great and I don’t have to buy any consumables to use it. It works especially well if I leave it in the starter or the fermentation vessel until it’s going hard. I guess I could pay $100 to get the Regulator and use my oxyacetylene tank. But I probably won’t bother.
If you have an acetylene and oxygen rig you don't need anything more than you have already. You have a diffuser and hose with your aquarium pump. Your oxygen regulater set to about 3 psi will provide all the oxygen you need. You may need a barb fitting to connect the hose to the regulator.

I have my acetylene and oxygen hoses fitted with quick connects and a quick connect on my dedicated oxygenation hose. Plus a hose with a oxy quick connect on one end and a corny type gas quick connect on the other end to supply my Spike conicals aeration fitting. Easy peezie. Just have to keep the oxygen tank around. I want a tall slender medical tank. I already have the necessary regulator. But it's crazy how the law prohibits you from possessing medical oxygen. You can pick up perfect used tanks cheaply, but you can't get them filled without a prescription and they controll the amount people who have prescriptions are allowed to get. No one will fill one without a prescription.

I used a diffusion stone and an Oxygen bottle for the first time in my last batch of pale ale. I just put it in the bottle yesterday after 4 weeks of fermentation. I am still quite surprised at how dark it is, but it tastes good, so we'll see what happens after it ages a bit.

So, when you oxygenate your wort on day one of fermentation and the yeast use that up quickly, is it reasonable to assume you could add some more and make them even happier?

I remember reading one study where they compared pure oxygen infusion vs aquarium pumps. As I recall it took the aquarium pump about 15 min to achieve the same wort oxygen content as 1 min of oxygen infusion. I wouldn’t spend a lot on oxygen but I can usually buy the small oxygen canisters for $10 or so and they last me 4-6 brew days. The regulators and diffusion stones are also fairly inexpensive.

So, when you oxygenate your wort on day one of fermentation and the yeast use that up quickly, is it reasonable to assume you could add some more and make them even happier?

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

If it is a high gravity brew, adding more O2 after about 6 hours will help, but once fermentation really takes off, O2 is the enemy of your beer.

My wife uses oxygen and when on the go or in the car she uses bottles of oxygen, but at home she uses an electric oxygen concentrator which processes room air and outputs air with higher oxygen content. I think this machine is VERY expensive and she only rents hers, so I wouldn't recommend using it for homebrew. I used one of her Oxygen bottles and a diffusion stone on my last batch of home brew (first time). I don't yet know if I was successful in making the yeast "happy", but I suppose I might see something after I open and drink the first bottle,

Apparently you can get a bit higher oxygen concentration in your wort using pure oxygen.

My tanks aren’t easily accessible so I’m not going bother. I’m happy with my aquarium pump. I can let it run for 30-60 minutes vs 2.

I use a paint stirrer and a cordless drill most of the time. Seems to do the job.
I've heard there's a possibility of over oxygenating the wort using pure O2, though how true that is I've no idea.

OK. Thanks Calder. May I ask please if you could explain why?
Yeast use oxygen during their aerobic growth phase so oxygenation or aeration the wort promotes fast and healthy growth early on. After that point fermentation is an anaerobic process so adding oxygen is typically detrimental. On top of that any oxygen not consumed by the yeast at that point will go on to oxidize the beer itself.

I have everything I need to oxygenate the wort but have never had the need, I always make at least a 2 step starter so yeast is very happy and gets right to work, I usually have to stop fermentation before it gets to low and makes my beer dry. I always thought it would be a good thing but just hasn't
been necessary yet.

I was looking into getting an aquarium pump for oxygenation, but I was worried that it would be too difficult to clean/sanitise.

In the end, I just got a food-grade stainless-steel paint-mixer and use that to aerate wort from 20L to 120L batches.

Latest posts

Back