How many of us have brewed bad beer? Good news...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
About a year ago, I was brewing a porter and fermenting it with lager yeast Safale 34/70.

I was near the end of my brew day, chilling the wort in an ice bath, and the laundry tub sink in which I was doing this filled to the point that it was higher than the wort. The pot then lifted and turned on its side. This is when I noticed it. I ran to it but too late. My beer had spilled into the laundry tub and the pot containing the wort began to fill with ice and laundry tub water..ewww.

What could I do? RDWHAHB. I was pissed but let the beer ferment out, bottled it and put it on the shelf to worry about at a later date.

So have you heard the old saying that the 5th ingredient in beer is time? A year later this beer is a little fruity but actually very good! More of a session beer than planned but very drinkable. Attached is a pic of what I labeled as Laundry Tub Lager. :D

RDWHAHAB! :mug:

photo (10).JPG

Wow, that's surprising. I brewed an oatmeal stout a few months ago with 34/70 and really liked the results. That yeast just kicks ass all around. A local brewery used to brew an oatmeal stout with lager yeast that I loved. They stopped brewing it 6 or 7 years ago...that was a sad day.

good news! Always awesome when it turns out well in the end.

I tried to let 2 kegs of beer age out with time due to a water quality issue but they never got any better. I just dumped one last night and it was pretty bad. First batch I've had to dump. The other one will get dumped once my IPA is ready. I'm sure that one is just as bad as the one I just pitched. It's a sad day when you have to dump all that money, time and effort down the drain.

That's awesome!! Ya never know what things will turn out like.
My last brew was one with many brain farts. A bunch of small things like adding ingredients at the wrong time etc.
But I did two major gaffs. First when I shut the heat off from the boil I went to turn the IC on and I forgot to put it in the kettle when it was boiling. I said to hell with it so I put it in anyway. The wort was still almost at boiling so major nasties will be killed.
The second one was I put star san in the demijon and forgot to dump it out and started filling it when I remembered! It was only a cup and a half so I just left it.
It will be a clean tasting porter I believe. :D

Back