How many gravity points for a can of Raspberry Puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyBoy29

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of the gravity points to add to our OG when adding a 3lb 1oz can of Raspberry Puree a few days into primary?

CE0154D8-E50D-4429-B5DB-BEF55BE63850.jpeg
CE0154D8-E50D-4429-B5DB-BEF55BE63850.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I figured it out, since it lists the brix and gravity readings on the side. If the contents of this can are the same gravity as our wort, then it will make no difference. Wort was 1.050, (6.5 gallons) and this 48 fluid oz can was 1.045, so it will bring the entire now-almost-7 gallons down very slightly. I'm not even going to calculate it!

You can always add some extra sugar to bring it back up to 1.050.

Now fruit only contains simple sugars, mostly glucose and fructose, IIRC, so they're likely to ferment out completely, leaving no body or residual sweetness. Keep that in mind.

There are ways to "stall" fermentation or even prevent it, to keep it sweeter. Or backsweeten later. The wine forum may have some ideas there, it's not my terrain, but Sorbate comes to mind.

7D267010-D798-402B-A7F2-2818DD37F5B5.jpeg
Thanks! This is the third time we’ve made this particular recipe but never thought about what (if anything) would change in the ABV. But since the volume is increased right along with it, then it is a non-factor

This is a kettle-soured raspberry that is one of our favorites. We just kegged up a very full five gallons today and are waiting until we blow the old keg before it goes in the keezer.
7D267010-D798-402B-A7F2-2818DD37F5B5.jpeg

You can always add some extra sugar to bring it back up to 1.050.

Now fruit only contains simple sugars, mostly glucose and fructose, IIRC, so they're likely to ferment out completely, leaving no body or residual sweetness. Keep that in mind.

There are ways to "stall" fermentation or even prevent it, to keep it sweeter. Or backsweeten later. The wine forum may have some ideas there, it's not my terrain, but Sorbate comes to mind.

Back