How many geeks brew beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeshorebrewer

Reaction score
I've noticed that (myself included) many IT, technical or other types of people who are very specific about details brew beer. Not everyone, don't get me wrong and it doesn't really matter.

Just curious to throw it out there...

:tank:

Although I'm still in college, I consider myself a Software Engineer. I know that brewing is an art form, but I like to think of it as an engineering project with results you can consume. For example, figuring out what the difference in a 2.9 gallon boil and a 3 gallon boil will do to my IBUs and hop utilization is extremely enjoyable to me.

By my own informal interviews, I think it's more the engineering types who get sucked into homebrewing. At least, the bigger and better homebrew rigs tend to be owned and operated by engineering geeks! I'd say second would be the scientists and IT geeks.

When we were at Henry Hill's brewday, the majority of the brewers there were automotive machinists types. So I guess it's more where you live. But still, overall, most of the homebrewers I know have an engineering background.

WillPall, lilke the avatar. Eraserhead is badass!!!!

Engineers are totally in the mix with this one. Now that you mention it, most of my engineering friends are brew hounds.

Engineers are totally in the mix with this one. Now that you mention it, most of my engineering friends are brew hounds.

Well, engineers are a whole different breed of geeks! But sure, if you throw engineers in with the "geek" profile of IT/scientist/engineer, then EVERY homebrewer I know fits in there. Except for me. I'm a medical professional.

My husband is a retired biologist, though.

IT and general tech consultant. I am far from detail oriented, almost the opposite. I do love brewing though and tinkering with stuff (IE DIY) has always been a weakness of mine.

I've noticed that (myself included) many IT, technical or other types of people who are very specific about details brew beer. Not everyone, don't get me wrong and it doesn't really matter.

Just curious to throw it out there...

:tank:

I'm a software developer and enjoy the hobby.

Depends on your definition of "geek".

I'm an engineer, but I can't STAND science fiction-- I think it ALL sucks, from Star Trek to whateverthehellelsethereis. Annoys the living snot out of me. I much prefer sports.

I'm not a true geek, according to my EE PhD SWMBO, who is into all that sci-fi nonsense...

I spend way too much time on my computer and use linux. Granted it's ubuntu but still. I am just about to brew my first batch this weekend. I play lots of videogames as well and I love Harry Potter. Does that make me a geek?

Complete non -geek as you define it. I can't stand all the stats, numbers, chemistry, etc. I like it more from the similarity to making a good pizza or bread and cooking. I'm more of a financial, business type person.

IT for almost 13 yrs, Citrix and VMWare is how i spent most of my days, love brewing..and drinking..

Educational Technology Teacher working in a school doing the computer stuff. Been involved in IT since 1983. Going back to school to get more math-o-magics so I can teach math - :eek: - No freaking idea why I am doing it, especially at my old and decaying age, but............maybe its all the CO2 fumes from all the crap fermenting in my computer room. :drunk:

dental hygienist, poker player.

is that geeky?

I used to think I was the biggest geek I knew...until I started meeting some of my wine making, beer making and poker playing friends.

Complete non -geek as you define it. I can't stand all the stats, numbers, chemistry, etc. I like it more from the similarity to making a good pizza or bread and cooking. I'm more of a financial, business type person.

Awesome. I'm happy that someone can live in that world. :)

Depends on your definition of "geek".

I'm an engineer, but I can't STAND science fiction-- I think it ALL sucks, from Star Trek to whateverthehellelsethereis. Annoys the living snot out of me. I much prefer sports.

I'm not a true geek, according to my EE PhD SWMBO, who is into all that sci-fi nonsense...

This doesn't matter. To prove you are a geek, there are only three questions: what is your name, what is your quest and what is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

And if you answered the last question with "African or European swallow?" then you are a geek.

I am an IT geek.

Psychotherapist, professor, gardener, psychadelic guitar player, disc golf player, backpacker and I enjoy science fiction. So am an eclectic nerd and glad to be so...

I'm one of these.
MCSE: Security,
A+,Net+,Security+

My IT based job didn't have enough math and numbers and equations in it. Brewing scratches the itch pretty well. Also I like MacGyver rigging things to be awesome. I've seen every episode of every Star Trek. Star Wars was better before they "fixed it". Etc.

I was a long hair hippy type till my kids were born. now I am a S.A.H.D. yep. stay at home dad. but I love working on stuff,making stuff. ( I mostly make lunches,dinner and breakfast for my two girls) at this time in my life I have the best F'n job in the world,but I also have dish pan hands and laundry to do.. ;) brewing beer and my garden keep me sane. my wife works long hours and the puter is my only link to other adults most the time. sponge bob has turned my mine to mush.

I am no geek....but I geek out on good beer.

Mechanical Engineering student myself. I have found a pretty surprising trend that many microbrew founders are former engineers.

Back