How many gallons of cider 2019?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if you didn't also count them in an annual mead production thread. No double dipping. ;)

All ciders using SA-0 4 this year...
7 gal Apple
2 gal Ginger
2 gal Cherry
4 gal Lime-Harbenero
2 gal Hopped Spiced Apple
1 gal Pineapple
1 gal Rhubarb-Strawberry

1362 + 17 gal = 1379

another 10 for me, instacart dropped it off at my door, i dumped it in a bucket. For a change i added cinnamon to this batch...

10+1393=1403

(anyone know if there's a what i did for cider thread? like the beer baron's? lol)

Batch Name Size(GAL)
Pineapple Cider 6.5
Pear Cider 6.5
Pear Cider 6.5
Peach Mango Cider 5
Pineapple Cider 5
Apple Cider 5
HC001 10
HC002 20
Total 64.5

1403 + 64.5 = 1467.5

Apple Pie S-04 2 gal
Mixed Berry S-04 1 gal
Cider w D47 2 gal
cider w Knottingham 2 gal
Peach Mango Knotty 2 gal
fresh pressed local varieties: Yarlington Mill, Bramtot, McIntosh, Northern Spy, Crimson Crisp, Swayze Russet and Russet Beauty blend 11 gal

1470+20=1490

So far:
4.5 gallons of nottingham.
5.5 gallons of EC1118.

The Notty is done and getting racked to secondary tonight. I'll be oak aging for a couple days then addings come Cinnamon. A little brown sugar at bottling likely.

My EC1118 is about half done primary.

I have about another 300lbs of apples waiting on me to juice them. All my apples are from the abandoned trees and farms of my area.

Total of 97 gallons so far since February. Thirty plus of those are in primary right now. I expect at least another 8 to 10 or so before the end of the year so I expect the total to be at least 105.

Latest batches include 6 gallon mixed apple/pear and buckwheat honey cyser, 5 gallons gold rush w/K1, 5 gallon Wickson/Harrison w/K1, 3 gallon Roxbury/Gold Russet blend wild ferment and a 5 gallon pear/Wickson/Liberty and persimmon using 71b. The last planned batches will be Arkansas Black, hopefully wild fermented.

Every batch starts in a room at ~ 68 deg. F and then moves to the basement which is closer to 60.

Whovous, where did you source the WLP616? I'd love to give that a try but haven't found it locally in the MD area.

Started a 6 gallon batch of cider using juice from an orchard. 1.056 SG, 3.6ph, 150ppm sulfite, pectic enzyme, Lavin EC-1118, might be some Red Star Champagne yeast in there too because I pitched it and nothing happened for a week (couple mistakes I now know to avoid).

Starting another 5 gallons on Tuesday using store bought Simply Apple juice. Goal is to push the PH towards 3.0 with an addition of malic acid to avoid sulfite so I can get a MLF going, use pectic enzyme, and then pitch Red Star Champagne yeast since I have it on hand.

Started a 6 gallon batch of cider using juice from an orchard. 1.056 SG, 3.6ph, 150ppm sulfite, pectic enzyme, Lavin EC-1118, might be some Red Star Champagne yeast in there too because I pitched it and nothing happened for a week (couple mistakes I now know to avoid).

Starting another 5 gallons on Tuesday using store bought Simply Apple juice. Goal is to push the PH towards 3.0 with an addition of malic acid to avoid sulfite so I can get a MLF going, use pectic enzyme, and then pitch Red Star Champagne yeast since I have it on hand.

1602 + 11 = 1613

6 gallons of Applewine in the fermenter. Started with 6 gallons of apple juice and 7 pounds of sugar. SG 1.109 71B took it to 1.020. Added EC-1118 and it is slowly working it's way down. Started another 4.5 gallons of local pressed cider which is also bubbling away. Can't recall what yeast I am using on it but I think it was also 71B. Didn't add anything else to the second batch as I will just keg it once it clears a bit.

1613+10.5=1623.5

My Autumn (May) production is already in there. But I have a couple of 1/2 gallon experimental batches going using store bought cloudy organic juice. Like Maylar, I wasn't planning to include it, but in order to be part of the record breaking team, here it is... one more gallon = 1626

My last start this year:
5 gal. Heritage blend including quince & Aronia berries from a local cider mill.

1626 + 5 = 1631

One more gallon of juice this time just tossed on the used yeast from my Apple Jack ferment started two weeks ago.

1661 + 1 = 1662

Three gallons. My first effort. 2 Gallons Jonathon, 1.5 quarts Gold Rush, 1.5 Quarts Tramlett's Bitter, Geneva, 1 Quart Granny Smith. With champaign yeast.

A new gallon using Musselman's fresh pressed with S-04 last Saturday.
1672 + 3 gallons for ^^ rickbuddy + my 1 = 1676

So, I guess that's it. Only one thousand, six hundred, seventy-six gallons of cider recorded as being made here by the users of this site for 2019.

Back