How many gallons brewed in 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like the data/numbers I recall, seems I was little off on my average. 40gals per year works out to not quite one pint a day. That would be 8 5gal batches per year at one every 6 weeks or so if you spread it out.

I would guess many on HBT would fit that average.

I think if people could anonymously post their brews maybe the total number would be bigger.

brewed and mostly gone...

5 Sacc Trois IPA w/ rakau and mosaic hops
5 Mosaic Stout
5 Vienna Bitter
5 Red IPA w/ chinook, rakau, and simcoe hops
5 Purple Lychee IPA w/ butterfly pea flower
5 Peach Pie Cream Ale
5 Session Ale w/ fuggles and mosaic hops
5 Bumbleberry Kolsch
5 Rye IPA w/ azacca and columbus hops
5 Nitro Stout
5 ESB w/ spruce infused centennial hops
5 IPA w/ sabro and amarillo hops
5 Nitro Coconut Porter
5 Maris Otter Brown Ale

and brewed...but to be fruited and bottled in 2020 or 2021

5 Brett w/ wild plums
5 Sour (cherries?)
5 Sour (blackberries?)
5 Brett Saison w/ honey and apricots
5 Sour (raspberries?)
5 Kviek Sour

(11,597 + 100)

=11,697

Read a similar article. Have to admit my IPA brews have significantly dropped due to abundance of decent IPA breweries and the PIA/short life span they have anyway. Also, the millennial population is getting less interested in beer in general. Too many calories? I laugh at calories. Of course brewing 40gal/year instead of 350 (mostly 7%+) might help my weight issue wife says I have...Ha!
Think I seen something in zymurgy magazine that mentioned with so many craft breweries, homebrewing is less attractive.

I dunno, that’s like saying people are going to stop cooking at home because there are restaurants all around.

To be sure, we’d have to covary the gallons posted in each year by the total number of all posts on the forum that year as a marker of forum activity. It could also be that fewer people posted their numbers in the thread in some years and it doesn’t really reflect actual brewed gallons. Not everyone active on here participates in the tally thread, either.
Ok found the article,"The Rise and Fall of the Homebrewing", on page 11 jan/feb 2020. Looks like a commentary type piece so just one guy opinion.

2019 was the worst brewing year I've had since I started in 1992. I only brewed 2 10 gallon batches. Started the year with health issues, brewed a couple of batches in the early spring and then we decided to move to the other side of the state so i decided it would be easier to not have a bunch of full kegs/fermenters on moving day. So i think the total now is 11,717. This year I promise to do better, once I get my stuff set up in my new shop. BTW, can anyone point out a good LHBS in Tuscon, the closest city to us?

2019 was the worst brewing year I've had since I started in 1992. I only brewed 2 10 gallon batches. Started the year with health issues, brewed a couple of batches in the early spring and then we decided to move to the other side of the state so i decided it would be easier to not have a bunch of full kegs/fermenters on moving day. So i think the total now is 11,717. This year I promise to do better, once I get my stuff set up in my new shop. BTW, can anyone point out a good LHBS in Tuscon, the closest city to us?
Paging @Dave Sarber.

I think some people add how much goes into the fermentor and some add the package amount.

If it was brewed in 2019 feel free to add the amount you feel comfortable with to the current total of 11,717.

Back