How many gallons brewed in 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+5 gallons xocoveza clone
+5 gallons ten Fidy clone
+5 gallons old chub clone

=10618

Cider has a different thread, this is for beer
should be 10837

Forgot to update throughout the year, so here goes

10837 gal
+ 5 g Irish Red
+ 5 g Bock
+ 5 g Vienna
+ 5 g hefe
+ 5 g rye pale
+ 5 g barleywine
+ 5 g wit
+ 5 g marzen
+ 5 g mild
+ 5 g amber
+ 10 g scottish
+ 5 g pale
+ 5 g helles
+ 5 g saison

Total 10,912 gallons

+3.5 Doppelbock
+6 Imp Stout
+7 IRA
+8.5 NEIPA
+6 Yellow Rose Clone
+3.5 Baltic Porter
+4 Belgian Dubbel

38.5 + 11,155.5 = 11,194

22 brew days, 104.5 gallons, a new personal best.

Abbey Weizen-10 gal
Amber Lager-5 gal
Fizzy Yellow Lager-10 gal
Mosaic SMaSH-10 gal
Blonde Ale-15 gal
Mosaic APA-4 gal
Dunkelweizen-4 gal
Bohemian Pils SMaSH-5 gal
Octoberfest-4 gal
Pale Wheat Ale-5 gal
Cali Common-2.5 gal
Black Rock Porter-5gal
Big Flat APA-10 gal
Boston Lager Clone-5 gal
Cream Ale-5 gal
CC IPA-5 gal
104.5+11304=11408.5

Looking back at the 2018 thread, we were roughly 4,000 gallons short in 2019. Weak!

From 2018 thread final post:

My final addition to my count was 6 gallons of a blonde ale I brewed for a friend. I didn't touch the kettle again until January.

15910.5 + 6 = 15 916.5 gallons

5 Gallons of White IPA brewed on 12/22/2019

11512+5
= 11517

Bored playing with Excel on my phone...we need to shape up in 2020 to stop the downtrend!

Adjustments.JPG

I dunno, that’s like saying people are going to stop cooking at home because there are restaurants all around.

To be sure, we’d have to covary the gallons posted in each year by the total number of all posts on the forum that year as a marker of forum activity. It could also be that fewer people posted their numbers in the thread in some years and it doesn’t really reflect actual brewed gallons. Not everyone active on here participates in the tally thread, either.

Your idea sounds like work. I will have to page thru the magazine to see if I can find the article again.

I drink very little commercial beer, but it appears many here do.

I also recall a survey that put the average homebrewer at something like 45 or 50 gallons per year. I posted the number in one of the how many gallons threads. The total for the survey was pretty big as I recall.

Here’s a link to a news release from the Brewers Association about a study the AHA commissioned 2 years ago. The market research firm that did the study came up with an estimate of 1.1 million homebrewers who produced an estimated 1.4 million barrels in 2017. That works out to 39.5 gallons apiece.

Xenforo doesn’t appear to have a “who posted” feature, or at least it doesn’t as configured here. That would make it a little easier to review the members who posted in this thread and their annual production. We don’t really know if the HBT cohort is more or less productive than the national average.

Back