How many cups in 2 lbs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arxix

Reaction score
I just got my shipment of goodies from AHS (kid at Christmas!!!) and I now have the yeast, cider and corn sugar to make some Apfelwein. I got 2 packets of yeast and 5lbs of dextrose so I could make a 2nd batch with whatever changes I wanted but I overlooked 1 thing. The dextrose is in a 5lb bag. I only need 2lbs right now. I don't own a scale and am slightly on the broke side.

So, if anyone knows how many cups 2lbs of dextrose is, I would definitely appreciate it! Or am I just going to have to suck it up and buy a cheep scale? And yes, I know that its not exact to go from weight to volume.

Thanks in advance,
ArXiX

A 20 dollar digital scale from target or K-mart or any big box store is probably one of the best investments a brewer can make. Make sure it can measure both in grams and ounces, and can do up to a few pounds and you'll have something that you will be using almost everytime you brew, from measuring out hop additions, to all grain brewng to measuring priming sugar.

It's always better to measure by weight instead of volume.

Until you get a scale, you can figure that there's about 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar in a pound (or 5 cups in 2 pounds).

5 responses in less than 10min. I love this place. Makes me feel at home!

I am going to use the 9.5 cups this time (split the difference). And I KNOW I need a scale but I just spend $100 at AHS and if I tried to slide anymore in SWMBO would put a stop on the brewing fun.

Hopefully if I can make some $$ in the next few weeks I will have one before I go for my 2nd batch and see what changes I want to make.

Thanks all!!

-ArXiX

On-line conversions for cooking says 9 cups in 2 pounds but, there is no correlation to weight so..........

Until you get a scale, you can figure that there's about 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar in a pound (or 5 cups in 2 pounds).

looks like our on-line conversion sites are WAY off Gila

I found a site that said 2.5 cups per pound - the one you found said 4.5 cups per pound?

I was just about to start and I was like.... 9 cups.. thats not right!! Looks like there is only about 12 cups in the while 5 lbs.

Crap!

Guess im headed to Bed Bath and Beyond real quick. I guess its grilled cheese and water for lunch for the next few days.

-ArXiX

I was just about to start and I was like.... 9 cups.. thats not right!! Looks like there is only about 12 cups in the while 5 lbs.

Crap!

Or just go with 2.5 cups per pound like I said :D

Seriously, you've already done the math:

5 lbs = ~12 cups

so, ~4.8 cups = 2 lbs. (or 5 cups like I said before)

did I mention I said this before :D

I guess its grilled cheese and water for lunch for the next few days.

-ArXiX

most of us would REALLY LOVE grilled cheese for lunch for the next few days :ban:

OK, so Bed Bath and Beyond had a nice 6lb scale in 1oz incremental for only $12!!

And the award goes to AZ_IPA for being right on the money with his 1lb = 2.5 cups. Congrats and thanks for your input. I just got scared when there were a few people saying very different things.

We are now awaiting fermentation to start with an OG of 1.054. Not sure why so low, it could be there is more sugar on the bottom and less on top when I stole my sample from.

In other news I didn't realize it till AFTER I had put them all in, that SWMBO got 3 gal of Publix brand apple Juice and 2 gal of Publix brand apple cider. When asked, she said "I wanted to see how it would turn out, I figured it would give it a bit more flavor". OK,... SOooooooo I will let everyone know how it turns out, Im guessing it will be just like normal apfelwein but more cloudy. Who knows....

Thanks to all that tried to help, and now I have a scale for next time.

-ArXiX

And the award goes to AZ_IPA for being right on the money with his 1lb = 2.5 cups. Congrats and thanks for your input. I just got scared when there were a few people saying very different things.

I didn't do anything other than use the googlz plus some experience. I make a fair amount of 1-gallon batches of wine and seemed to recall in my pre-scale days, that ~1lb = ~2.5 cups.

But, heck, you got a good deal on a scale, so it's all good!

And, how's the grilled cheese treating ya (inside joke on this forum and others - you'll figure it out eventually :ban:)

:mug:

Back