How many corny kegs do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us we've got 10 total. Might pick up a few extra if we end up brewing more frequently with the new brewery this year.

Haven't bottled in several years but scored 4 cases of 16oz flip top bottles for free from an old co-worker so might bottle a few batches from time to time.

15 ball lock variety. one for starsan, one for rootbeer, one for other sodas. i have 24oz flip tops to save 2 from the really "awesome" batches and for sake. 4 each ale pails, and 5g carboys. my '10 yield: 5 gallons so far.

my mentor has 24 pin locks, and 12 each ale pails and 5g carboys.. his yield: ~150 gallons/year.

Nine for me. One always full of starsan. Two in keggerator and one bulk aging. So five with nothing but air. I need to brew more. As for bottling; I usually make a 6.5 gallon batch. Keg 5 and bottle the rest.

7 here, 5 always full now and the other 3 are empty but im working on fixing that and naturally carbing with those which I havnet done yet besides with bottles.

34 or 35 pin locks... I forget exactly... I know the first one I polished up ended up having a pinhole leak under / right near the top rubber... That will be my StarSan keg...

Two 5 Gallon - now that I'm doing 11 Gallon batches, I need more.
Three 3 Gallon

Apologies for the cross-post, but the following applies for 2 threads.

When I first wanted to keg (in '96), I bought 3 kegs that would fit the best in my basement fridge and be portable - 3 gallon kegs. The were MUCH more available and cheaper then. I have 3 of them. I usually do 5.5-6.5 gal batches. Actually, I do 11-12 gallons split between carboys, with a different yeast in each. I keg 3 gals and bottle the rest. Works great. sure wish I could find more 3-gallon carboys cheap (I know, - don't go there).

Plus, I find a difference in bottle-conditioned vs. keg conditioned (force carbed) taste. It's almost like having 4 beers out of one 11 gallon brewday! :mug:

Regards,

Dave

4 taps, 6 cornies. One with star san.

Brew in a queue is what you must do.

I have 16 -- they were free from a scrapper. I just had to clean the bejeezus out of them. Solved my pin vs ball lock dillema...they were pin lock, and the price was right.

There were actually 19...but 3 had been used as target practice. I have my first-ever kegged beer right now. :rockin:

I have two now, but I found a guy in CT that has over 1,000 used corny kegs that he is willing to sell cheap when you buy in bulk so I think I will be getting some of my friends together and buying quite a few more.

some of you have way to many. I got 2.:( need some more for sure. but I also have 2 uncut sankeys. nothing like tapping 15.5 gal. of pale ale. but damn some of you!!:drunk:

some of you have way to many. I got 2.:( need some more for sure. but I also have 2 uncut sankeys. nothing like tapping 15.5 gal. of pale ale. but damn some of you!!:drunk:

Then you don't want to hear I have eleven 15.5 with three 7.75 kegs in storage, only paid $40 for two 15.5 the rest were all free as well four 20# C02bottles. I went over the top and offered $30 for a 150 cu/ft Nitrogen bottle for stout gas mixes and the seller said it's yours.

9@5g - 2 full
2@3g

I need to get all the 5g's filled so I'm able to transfer to the 3g's in the MBDU (Mobil Beer Dispensing Unit) on short notice.

8 corny kegs and a legally obtained 5 gal corny.

I've never recalled Matt at CHI Company in Antelope Calif. ever selling any illegal corny kegs with the size of operation he has since he purchased the last whole Pepsi line of cornys across the USA then sold them to the public at a great price and condition. This was before the supply ran out and greed set in. Matt's a HBT member also and a prince of a person with high standards. After purchasing 24 corny's at his great low prices there's a reason why I kept coming back reordering more. I've never seen an illegal corny, what do they look like? Kegs yes check ebay you want hot kegs.

Just the one corny for now.

Looking to get another fairly soon.

the 2 will do me for a long time

That picture in your Avitar is trouble I can bet ha ha!
Grab all the corny's you can and not those by your LHBS
as they were purchased in bulk now making a killing off brewers knowing
they will dry up. Even buy more than you'll ever dream of filling, sell off
extras later you'll never lose money off them. Avoid those repops
from China, cheap for a reason. JMO's.

"ut shipping is a major hassle when time to sell them."

Why on earth would you ever want to sell them??? Montanaandy

I've got 23 ball locks and 3 pin locks. The pin locks are a pain, so I only use them for beers that I'm planning on aging.
Most of the time I think I have enough, but not always :mug:

obsession1.jpg

I had two i bought used online originally. Then the brewer at my work gave me one without a lid, then he gave me two more when I started brewing again, had to convert one to a ball lock. So I was up to five. Then I got off my ass and called up the pepsi plant and got ahold of the dude who handles them there and found out they had for palettes of used tall challenger VI ball locks for $25 apiece and since having kegs makes me happy I bought ten. That makes me so happy I might buy as many as I can and horde them.:mug:

I don't need them all but I have 7. 3 are in the kegerator at all times and 1 or 2 are usually in the wings waiting for space. It's great to be able to brew a beer like a big stout and let it condition for months in the keg at room temps.
Don't forget to keep a supply of o-rings and parts for those times poppits go out of leaks happen.

Back