How many carboy's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBone

Reaction score
How many carboy's do you have? How many primary fermentations are feasible at one time? Two seems very do-able (I just did my first on Saturday, no doubt in my mind I could have done two).

I've got 2 that I consider my primaries. I have 2 that I can use as secondaries. I'm gonna bump up to 3-4 primaries though. All Better Bottles for me...

I have 3 6/6.5 gallon ones that I use for primary, then a few 5 gallon carboys that I use for Apfelwein. :drunk:

I had a few more thanks to a Craigslist score, but I gave a few away ....

I have a 6.5 gal carboy that I use as my primary, a 5 gal carboy for secondary (when needed -- I hardly ever secondary), and a bucket that I'll use as a primary if I have more than one batch going at a time. Oh, and a 3-gal carboy from smaller batches.

I'm moving in a month, and will switch over to Better Bottles then. Probably 2-3 6-gallon.

I have:
2x 5 gallon Better Bottles
1x 5 gallon glass carboy
1x 6.5 gallon "Ale Pail"
2x 6 gallon Better Bottles
3x 1 gallon apple juice bottle with stoppers

It depends on what I'm doing to see which is primary or not. I like the ale pale as primary quite a bit but 6 gallon BB + blow-off is a lot easier on me, especially doing wheat beers.

one primary bucket,
one plastic secondary for afpelwien and the like
three glass secondaries for one beer, one long beer, and mead or something.

if all my carboys came home i'd prob have 10 or 15 - but since i made me some 15 gallon fermenters, i don't use em anymore

I have a 6 gallon, 5 gallon, and 2.5 gallon. I do not secondary at this moment.

The 6 gallon is my main fermentation vessel. I use the 2.5 gallon to make cider/hard "-ades." The 5 gallon will be used if I ever need it for oaking/fruiting/aging.

I've got a big enough fermenter to do a 10 gallon in one shot but I find myself wanting to split the 10 in half to do yeast comparisons. I'll have to pick up at least one more 6 gallon better bottle. I'm buying from brewbyu.com because they sell the 6g for $20.

I have
4 x 6.5 gallon carboys
6 X 5 gallon carboys
I also use my kegs as secondary fermenters I have about 8 of those

I have been thinking of buying some more 6.5 gallon carboys and going up to 30 gallons in a day, it really isn't that hard to keep track of that much stuff.

I have 2-6.5 gal buckets, a 6 gal better bottle and a 5 gal carboy plus a 7.9gal bucket. I am switching to usually using 3-4week primary and bottling without a secondary. The exceptions are really big beers like my imperial stout or dry hopped IPAs. For the RIS I do 3 weeks primary then 3+ weeks secondary. For dry hopping I add the hops to the primary after the kruesen drops and leave it sit for a week or 2 then secondary for a couple more weeks to allow it clear.
When you are leaving beer sit in the primary for several weeks then it is easy to get several beer sitting around. Plus it is always fun to do things like a double brew day. Or make 3-4 beers for a party. :)
Craig

I have 1 primary bucket, two 5gallon glass carboys, and two 2.5 gallon carboys.

I average only 1 week in primary as I don't make big beers, so two secondaries is more useful to me, since I could brew every week and never run out of secondary vessels.

1 x 6.5 gallon glass carboy
1 x 6 gallon better bottle
3 x 5 gallon better bottles
3 x 5 gallon glass carboys

only once had them all full at the same time.

Back