How many bines per drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
When I made my hop trellis, I only ran a single twine drop per hill/rhizome (1 rhizome/hill). Is that adequate? My hop growing book said to trim off all but one or two bines per rhizome and train it/them onto the twine. If I leave only one bine, no problem. If I leave two, can I train both on the same drop or should I add additional drops for the second bine on each rhizome? Any advice on the 1 versus 2 bines per rhizome? Also, the trellis is 17-18' tall.

I hang two drops per crown in a narrow vee and train a pair of bines on each, but you could run at least three bines on a single drop if you preferred.

Four might be pushing it with densely growing strains as they fight for light the whole way up the twine, and if the foliage gets too thick you run the risk of encouraging fungus and mold to break out as well...

Cheers!

> If I leave two, can I train both on the same drop

Yes, it is common to have multiple bines climbing the same twine. They all go in the same direction and wrap around each other. I commonly leave 4-5 on my mature plants without any trouble.

> Any advice on the 1 versus 2 bines per rhizome?

I recommend at lest 2. If one of the bine tips should break, or become damaged - its good teo have a backup.

> Also, the trellis is 17-18' tall.

Very nice.

Back