How many vines to keep per rhizome?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

olie

Reaction score
I'm growing my first hops in planters, and each rhizome sends up several vines. (Rather, they will; they're just breaking ground, now.)

My question is: do I train & keep all vines? Just the biggest/strongest one and cut the others back? Something in between?

I have lots of room, so COULD keep them all; I'm just not sure what's best for the plant.

Thanks!

Jako

Reaction score
to the question 4-6 bines per plant.

after the first few feet pick the best ones. at the same time i like to trim the leaves off the first few inches of the bines then as the bines grow i will take up to 2 feet of all lower leaves etc off to keep pest and dieses away.

this is after the first year as posted above. this allows for a strong healthy root system going forward. also not stressing the plant keeps it health and prevents pest and disease.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'd keep four. The first year I had hops I kept four per plant. I didn't get many cones, but they're on their 4th year, I believe, and they're doing fine.

I had rose chaffers chew the leaves, and I accidentally pruned one of the bines halfway up to the clothesline and the four bines still got it through the first year.