How low can a peltier go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have seen claims that will lower the ambient temp from 40*F to 125*F.

Assuming a 75*F room, is it possible to use one or more peltiers to lower the temp to 0*F?

This is going to require a MONSTER 12V power supply...

:rockin:

To answer your question directly.

Theoretically there is no limit to how low the Peltier effect can go. The logic behind this is the effect is removing heat from one side and transferring it to another. So stacking peltier chips can bring the temperature lower on the cold side if you are able to dissipate the heat fast enough on the hot side.

This is not really based on ambient temperature though. It is directly related to the peltier itself.

What is your purpose for the peltier?

What is your purpose for the peltier?

Vodka Freezer.

I'm going to make a box out of 2" foam board, big enough for a liter bottle.

I want the peltier rig to be built into the lid, with the cold (heat) sink just above the top of the bottle. That is going to make the lid awkward to remove, so I might end up mounting the peltier rig on one side of the box.

Vodka Freezer.

I'm going to make a box out of 2" foam board, big enough for a liter bottle.

I want the peltier rig to be built into the lid, with the cold (heat) sink just above the top of the bottle. That is going to make the lid awkward to remove, so I might end up mounting the peltier rig on one side of the box.

It would be much more efficient to mount the peltier on the bottom and cool the bottle. (or keep it cool) The hot side would be outside the enclosure. if you built some legs for it, then it will have room for a heat sink.

It would be much more efficient to mount the peltier on the bottom and cool the bottle. (or keep it cool) The hot side would be outside the enclosure. if you built some legs for it, then it will have room for a heat sink.

Since cold sinks and heat rises, how would mounting it on the bottom be more efficient?

it will have contact with the glass. unless you are going to circulate the air inside your enclosure, it wont do much.

Some quick things.

Is this a project just for fun where you aren't worried about the money involved? The reason I ask is doing this project will almost certainly cost you more than buying a product that is purposed for what you want.

If, on the other hand, this is a project for fun, or you require something that is outside of what is commercially available, then it could work.

Back