How loud is your wort pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
I was gifted my first chugger pump a little while ago that spawned and grew to a whole makeover of my chilling equipment. I went from a 25' coil immersion chiller to a Northern Brewer SS counterflow chiller. I got some silicone hoses, a new port on my kettle for recirculating, a thermometer, and SS quick disconnects wherever I can put them. Everything works great so far. The only thing I feel is off is the sound of the wort pump. There's no screeching or whining - just loud. Not jet engine loud. More like vacuum loud. I grabbed a screenshot of the soundmeter app on my phone.

Is yours quiet? If so, what are you using? I might be in the market for a quieter one.

sound_20200226_164810.jpg

Yeah the base chugger pumps are stupid loud, really upsets brew day zen.

I expect the TEFC options - chugger max, chugger mini-max, blichmann riptide, etc are much better. DC pumps are very quiet as well.

The noise wasn't the main reason I got rid of my chugger pumps, but I was so happy when my new pump was nearly silent. I have a 1/2hp 3 phase sanitary centrifugal pump (Top-flo TF-C100) with a TEFC motor now. It runs at 1800RPM max, but often I have it down to at least half of that with my VFD during most of the brew, and it's silent then (higher during whirlpool and chilling only). It was about $500 refurbished from CPE systems a few years back during a sale. It uses a shaft in its design so the impeller isn't rubbing on anything in the housing either. Worth every penny I think.

Here's a video of my pump, you can get an idea of the sound.

Last edited:
I thought I could live with it, but after one brew day I ordered a new pump. At least I have this freight train as back-up should I need it. Thanks for the input, guys!

Yeah the base chugger pumps are stupid loud, really upsets brew day zen.

I expect the TEFC options - chugger max, chugger mini-max, blichmann riptide, etc are much better. DC pumps are very quiet as well.

The noise wasn't the main reason I got rid of my chugger pumps, but I was so happy when my new pump was nearly silent. I have a 1/2hp 3 phase sanitary centrifugal pump (Top-flo TF-C100) with a TEFC motor now. It runs at 1800RPM max, but often I have it down to at least half of that with my VFD during most of the brew, and it's silent then (higher during whirlpool and chilling only). It was about $500 refurbished from CPE systems a few years back during a sale. It uses a shaft in its design so the impeller isn't rubbing on anything in the housing either. Worth every penny I think.

Here's a video of my pump, you can get an idea of the sound.

Needs more cowbell.

My original March pump is extremely loud. I use it on a Blichmann Tower of Power so it runs constantly throughout the mash and the sound is maddening.

Asked Santa for the new Blichmann Riptide pump for Christmas. Come the spring thaw here in the northeast, I'm looking forward to an improved brew day.

Yeah, my chugger was loud as hell. I got a Blickmann Riptide and I love that thing. Quiet (really quiet), easy to clean and I really like the flow control valve on the output. It was about double what I paid (on sale) for the chugger, but ultimately worth it. If the riptide had been out when I got the chugger and, knowing what I know now, I'd have started out with it.

I'm keeping the chugger as a backup, but if I needed a second pump to run at the same time, I'd go buy another riptide.

Just to circle back: I'm three batches in to using my new Blichmann Riptide pump and I couldn't be happier with it. It is so quiet that my only problem is that I keep accidentally leaving it on. Well worth the investment.

I've had two riptides on at the same time at that is quieter than the SS head chugger I have.
Gonna sell the chugger or keep it just in case

Back