How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdub

Reaction score
I have some cider fermenting away in the basement and have yet another question.

How long can it sit in the primary? The fermentation is going strong as ever now, but i figure i may as well figure out the next step now. My original plan was to let it sit untill late march and bottle it as a bday gift for my girlfriend. Do i need to move it over to a secondary before then, or will it be ok?

well, no.
I tossed it all in the primary without taking any readings. It was my first act as home brewer, back when all i had was corn sugar, apple juice, yeast, and a better bottle.

I have no idea where it started out at. But, i have since picked up some more equipment, and will take a reading once the fermentation dies off.

Youll get some different opinions on the use of a secondary vessel on this site. Many on this site will not use a secondary for most brews myself included. But for that long I would get it off the yeast cake after fermentation dies down.
EDIT: Im speaking mostly from beer brewing so ignore what I just said. I didnt see you were doing cider. Im a "new posts" whore

would i be just as well to bottle it once it stops fermenting and let the cider sit in bottles?

this will not be drank, besides test samples for hydro tests, until her 21st birthday.

wow well then in that case IMBO i would say you cant really go wrong with a secondary. Are you going to carb it? Again remember I am no cider expert.

it will be carbed up. i might keep one six pack uncarbed just to try it.

For ciders, I primary for 2 months, secondary for 4 months, then bulk-age for at least one year. Most ciders are drank waaaaaaaaaaay too young. YMMV.

- GL63

I agree, though I never had the patience to wait that long UNTIL I got married, and a few cased went into storage.

I didn't get around to pulling them out until 7 years later! They were the best cider I've ever had, ever. Mellowed beyond my imagination.

Back