How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bdub

Reaction score
I have some cider fermenting away in the basement and have yet another question.

How long can it sit in the primary? The fermentation is going strong as ever now, but i figure i may as well figure out the next step now. My original plan was to let it sit untill late march and bottle it as a bday gift for my girlfriend. Do i need to move it over to a secondary before then, or will it be ok?

OP
B

bdub

Reaction score
well, no.
I tossed it all in the primary without taking any readings. It was my first act as home brewer, back when all i had was corn sugar, apple juice, yeast, and a better bottle.

I have no idea where it started out at. But, i have since picked up some more equipment, and will take a reading once the fermentation dies off.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Youll get some different opinions on the use of a secondary vessel on this site. Many on this site will not use a secondary for most brews myself included. But for that long I would get it off the yeast cake after fermentation dies down.
EDIT: Im speaking mostly from beer brewing so ignore what I just said. I didnt see you were doing cider. Im a "new posts" whore

OP
B

bdub

Reaction score
would i be just as well to bottle it once it stops fermenting and let the cider sit in bottles?

OP
B

bdub

Reaction score
this will not be drank, besides test samples for hydro tests, until her 21st birthday.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
wow well then in that case IMBO i would say you cant really go wrong with a secondary. Are you going to carb it? Again remember I am no cider expert.

OP
B

bdub

Reaction score
it will be carbed up. i might keep one six pack uncarbed just to try it.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
For ciders, I primary for 2 months, secondary for 4 months, then bulk-age for at least one year. Most ciders are drank waaaaaaaaaaay too young. YMMV.

- GL63

HP_Lovecraft

Reaction score
I agree, though I never had the patience to wait that long UNTIL I got married, and a few cased went into storage.

I didn't get around to pulling them out until 7 years later! They were the best cider I've ever had, ever. Mellowed beyond my imagination.