How long...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
How long does it usually take for you to go through a 5 gallon keg? Just trying to plan out my brewing schedule so the brews keep flowing. Also trying to see how much of a lush I am compaired to you all :drunk:

I don't keg- but it takes 2-3 weeks to drink 5 gallons, depending on how good it is! I don't share much, just my husband and myself drink the vast majority. I drink about 1.5 16 ouncers a day on weekdays, 3 usually on weekends.

I'm getting kegging equipment for Christmas, though! :ban:

It totally depends on the brew!My good ones go fast.Swmbo and i have gone through one in 5 days,but weather and absence and,most of all,flavor had a lot to do with it.I'm thinkin 2 weeks max for a good one.On the other hand,i have 2 not so goods that been around for a month or more:p .
Cheers:mug:

TheJadedDog said:
I am usually the primary drinker of all my brews and it usually takes me 3-4 weeks to kill a keg (but then that's because I have 2 of them and I alternate brews:D )

So basically you are saying 1.5-2 weeks is your average for one keg :p

My first one lasted almost 3 weeks. It was a smaller batch, because, being a noob, I didnt know to top off. I figured I boiled 2.5 gal so I should only have to add 2.5 gal to the primary to top it off right? The small things we learn along the way. We also had friends over a couple times who like good beer.

I thought that the keg went really fast, but turnes out its about average. Glad to hear it :mug:

ArroganceFan said:
I thought that the keg went really fast, but turnes out its about average. Glad to hear it :mug:

That's funny! "Average" for us is probably way more than most people. Still, I don't smoke, I work out and eat healthy. I'm a good mother with a great job and I'm a productive member of society. My kids (17 and 15) have never seen me drunk. A couple of good beers a day is one of my greatest pleasures in the evening.

But, yeah, it does go pretty fast!

I'm not home for over half the week usually so my kegs last me a little longer. I'm the only drinker in the household. I'd say 4-6 weeks usually, but I have 3 kegs going right now and hope to be adding 2 more this weekend so I'll probably be closer to 6-8 weeks.

I don't keg either but I would guess on average I go through a five gallon batch in a little over a week. 5 gallons will definitely not survive 2 weekends. I would imagine that if I started drinking on 5 gallons on Monday by the end of the coming weekend I would be down to a six pack and a stray bottle or two.

My kegs last anywhere from <2 hours to 3 weeks depending if I pour at a fest or keep it to myself. I've had bottles of brew last up to 4 years but I can't detain a keg for that length of time.

Wild

We're at about 2 weeks per keg. We had our first 2 last a month, hitting each one at about the same rate and both kicking last weekend. Of course, of that was probably 3-5 gal total put in growlers and taken to gatherings, so I'd bet we would have another week or so of beer left if we didn't share so much.

Note to self: Non homebrew drinkers don't drink enough homebrew. We bring too much (usually 3 growlers) to a gathering and only my roommate and I (and possibly 1 other person at the party - who only drinks 1 or 2 beers) drink homebrew. I'm no longer interested in taking brew to share if I have to sit around and drink it all myself anyways.

Takes me a month or two to finish 5 gallons, I actually gave alot away. Now I brew 1/2 batches (gives me the ability to do full boils on my stove too).

I may drink a beer a night, but most a beer every 2 or 3 nights... Fridat & Sat maybe 2 to 3 a night.

I enjoy the process of making beer more then drinking it.

My SWMBO doesn't like beer so I'm the only one who usually drinks out of the keg. I only have one or two per night, if any at all. I also buy a couple 6-packs of commercial beer (for research! :tank:) every now and then. With this drinking schedule a keg lasts me about 1 to 1-1/2 months.

I rarely drink during the weekdays, and only have one primary and one secondary, so I can't have 17 brews fermenting at once. Therefore, I ration myself and it may be about 6 weeks for 5 gallons.

It all depends on YOUR drinking style, to be honest; however, that being said, kegs tend to go quite a bit faster than bottles probably due to the fact that you tend to pour way to easily from a keg whereas a bottle seems to be more of a counted method.

I usually have 2 kegs on tap at once and a third aging for when one blows. Try to always keep a keg ahead of the game and you'll be all set. :rockin:

I don't keg but including giving away some bottles it takes me about a month to finish 5 gal. I have a 12oz beer most evenings and often have a 22oz or up to 3 beers on a weekend. Since my wife doesn't drink that means I average about 9-10 beers a week. So 50 bottles lasts about a month. Ofcourse if I had a keg I'm guessing those 12oz beers would be closer to 16oz and it would go a little quicker. :drunk:
Craig

40 pints at 1-2 pints weekday and 3-4 weekend = 15 pints a week

So a keg can last around 3 weeks. But I have up to 4 kegs normally

So a brew should last around 3 months. :)

Back