How long will yeasy cake last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....I brewed up a German Pils 11 days ago. After the D-rest I will rack to a corny for lagering. My plan is to brew up an identical batch to put on the current yeast cake(trying get a cycle going). My question is..if I'm unable to rack the primary and dump the new batch on the same day how long will that yeast cake be good for? Can I put an airlock on the primary carboy for a day or so and then put the new batch on the cake? Thanks

If you're careful with sanitation during racking, leave a quart or two of beer behind to keep the yeast hydrated, and put an airlock on the carboy, I don't see why you'd have a problem. In fact, I wouldn't be scared to let it go a week if the cake is totally submerged in leftover beer. That said, I'm a cake reuse novice.

If you are brewing within a week or so, why not just wait to rack. It's a lager. It can wait. And it's safer.

Otherwise, you won't have a problem waiting to use the cake for a couple days unless you introduce nasties. Be sure to decant the oxidized beer before you use the cake, too. And you really don't have to use the whole cake; that's overkill.

For a ale pull a cup of the cake off and put it in a steril or at least sanitized closed jar of about that size in the frige and it will last for a week no problem and no starter. For a lager I would use two cups. I got stuck once making an ale and did as noted. I filled empty space in the jar with steril H2O and had active fermantation of the next batch a week later in less than 6 hours.

it will last for a week no problem and no starter."

If you do it that way, the starter will last well over a month. I saved 2 cups of a yeast cake for 6 months in 2-8 fridge. Decanted the spent wort, added another 1.5L of fresh wort, the next day it was ready. Yeast is much more resilient than you think. Just don't add bacteria.

Go to mrmalty.com. The yeast tools section has an area for pitching rate from a slurry. It will adjust the viability rate for you from date of harvest.

Back