Quantcast

How long will grain keep?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

earlyd

Reaction score
I am new to the world of all grain brewing. I have however done several extract with specialty grain batches but only 1 all grain. All of my extract batches I bought as a kit had just enough ingredients to make that one batch. I have found AG brewing to be much more rewarding so I am getting ready to start my second AG batch (a Bell's Best Brown Clone). What I have found is that the recipe calls for several different measurements of grain none of them are a whole number. I have also found that most homebrew shops only sell grain by the pound not the ounce. My question is if I buy 1 pound of chocolate malt and only use 2 ounces of it, how long will the additional 14 ounces last?

Please help,

~d

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it's not crushed, it'll keep until the weevils start hatching. That can be anywhere from a couple months to several months, depending on when the store got the grain in. Usually, it's longer.

TL

Turkeyfoot Jr.

Reaction score
I've read up to year if not longer if uncrushed and kept dry, cool and airtight. I just made a bulk grain purchase and I bought various sizes of these to store my grain in:

http://www.gammaplastics.com/new/vittles_vault.html

They're a little pricey but I've heard from several homebrewers at my LHBS that they work great and really keep the grain fresh.

Bombo80

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I stocked up, when several of the local supply shops were closing. I must have bought ~300 pounds of grain. Big bags, little bags, etc.. I keep them in plastic storage bins, in the basement. Nice and cool year round, and the critters stay out of them too. I haven't brewed in a long time (3 years - :cross: ) I have brewed three batches in the last 3 weeks, and have had no problems with my grains. I figure I have had them now for close to 6 years. That is the main reason why I am brewing alot. I would like to get rid of as much as I can, before restocking. That is also another reason why I am developing my own versions of recipes, to reduce my grain stockpile.

Time to brew some more this weekend.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Later......

BREW N QUE

Reaction score
Are you sure your LHBS doesn't sell grains by the ounce? I know the two that I use price their grains by the pound, but sell you whatever quantity you need for your recipe. Since I don't have a mill, I find that it is easier to buy exactly what I need for a batch and have it all crushed and bagged together.