How Long To Leave Beer On Purée

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven1469

Reaction score
Backstory. I made a kettle sour for the wife, as she loves sours. She wanted a strawberry/lime sour. I fermented the wort out then racked it on top of purée and potassium sorbate. I didn’t want the remaining yeast to eat the sugars in the purée. I like it to keep as much strawberry flavor as possible.

Question. Will the beer keep getting a stronger strawberry flavor the longer I leave it on the purée? It’s been on it for a couple day, and it’s not really noticeable. I know I can add some extract when kegging, but want to see what the purée will do first. I’ve heard some people only leave it on purée for 24 hours, others say a week or more.

Thanks for any help.

I've left beer on puree for 1 to 2 weeks before . When I do a blueberry sour I dont puree them and I leave the berries in for 2 weeks . The puree was apricot and 1 - 2 weeks were good . It took over the peach flavor very easily .

A couple of days is not enough for puree, if you ask me. I always leave it for at LEAST a week before even trying it. Typically I find 2 weeks is optimal for the best flavor. I've done 3 and 4 weeks also and to me, it just seemed to be diminishing returns after 2 weeks. Any time I use fruit, whether whole or puree, it's always for 2-3 weeks.

When I do a blueberry sour I dont puree them and I leave the berries in for 2 weeks .
Interesting. I always smash mine, but it's a PITA. Do you get enough flavour out of them leaving them whole? What's your fruiting rate?

Interesting. I always smash mine, but it's a PITA. Do you get enough flavour out of them leaving them whole? What's your fruiting rate?

Yes really good blueberry flavor . I use 6# for a 5 gallon batch. After 2 weeks they lose their color . I also use Goodbellys blueberry acai for the souring

Attachments

• IMG_4449.jpg
    IMG_4449.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190607_144113.jpg
    20190607_144113.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 24
Back