How long to lager a pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a pilsner ~5.5 ABV that I put into the fridge for lagering about a week ago. This is my first light and lower alcohol lager, as when I do lagers I usually do bocks and maibocks at 6.5 ABV or so and lager for at least a month. How long do you think I need to leave a lighter pilsner in? Keep in mind that I will be kegging it and putting it right back into the fridge under pressure for another week or so to force carbonate. Thanks.

as a rule of thumb I would give it one week per 0.008 of gravity, so if it were an OG of 1.056 I would give it 7 weeks if I could.

I find my Pilsners' hop aromas are starting to fade by the sixth week of lagering, even though the palate is still getting crisper. Week 5 is about the peak of enjoyability for me. I lager them in the same fridge from which they are served, at ~38ºF.

I made a bopils recently and fermented with a narziss schedule.... supplemented with a week of mid 60s after primary fermentation. I clarified with gelatin and within a week of kegging I was quite satisfied. Now, I'm no bjcp judge and I didn't submit it for judgement, but I feel that given a well planned and executed fermentation, the need for extended lagering just may be mitigated.

I think 4-6 weeks is the sweet spot for a Pilsner, if you can keg you can lager and taste test at the same time to determine your preference. For maltier lagers 6-8 weeks is good, for dopplebocks a period of aging at cellar temp ~55-60F after lagering improves the darker fruit flavors which are dependent on slower chemical reactions.

Latest posts

Back