How long to freeze Eisbock??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
I put a 5 gallon keg of Eisbock in my keezer 5 hours ago and put the keezer on 0. I thought it would be frozen by now as the beer started out at about 40 degrees and the keezer temperature dropped like a rock but popping the lid there is still no ice/slush.

How long will this take??

Thanks very much for that link. I had never brewed an Eisbock before and was unsure about the timing and couldn't find anything online. I ended up leaving the beer freeze for 8 hours and got about 15% liquid from the keg once the ice melted. Like the guy on the link I was surprised that once my frozen liquid thawed it was the color of the beer and not even close to clear. Next go-round I'll leave it in the keezer for 9-10 hours to shoot for 20% ice but for a first try with nothing to go by I think it came out ok.

For me it took a few days. What I did was to drop the temperature a few degrees each day until I started to see ice crystals form. I didn't want a block of ice. I think the temp was around 19F when things began to happen. One it starts to freeze I would scoop out the ice every few hours until the volume was lowered to what I wanted.

Back