How long to brew a winner beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time taken to brew a beer worth buying

• 0-3 months

• 4-6 months

• 6-12 months

• > 1 year

Results are only viewable after voting.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I'm a beginner brewer, and am interested to find out from you how long it took you to brew a beer that you honestly thought was good enough, you'd pay money for it at a bar/package store.

time is different for the sort of beer your doing. I believe 'bigger' beers take longer til there ready, some stay in primary several months. where a hefe is designed to be consumed after only a matter of weeks.

I put within 0-3 months. I thought my first batch was awesome. It was a IIPA extract kit from midwest supplies.

I have made some excellent beers from extract kits. The only downfall is that you don't have as much control over the ingredients.

I first started brewing back in like 90-91. Brewed a few batches over the years, but only on occasion. A couple of years ago I really got back into it and it took about a year before I felt confident that the beer I made was as good as the average brewpub or craft beer.

Some people just get it right right away, and some people take their time!

I started brewing in December of 2008. I have really enjoyed most of my batches and have had a couple, most notably an American Wheat and an IPA, that came pretty close to commercial level. However, the hefeweizen I just cracked open and the pale ale I just tapped are the first two beers I can honestly say, "If I paid for this at a bar, I'd be happy with my choice." The hefe was an extract batch and the pale ale was all grain, for what that's worth. They're not perfect, but how many beers really are?

Time gets you consistency; you'll hit some good brews early on, and you'll have some misses. As you dial in your process and get more feel for the ingredients, the percentage of good brews goes up.

I had some very good beers in my first 10 (one that a beer aficionado friend had me re-brew for his wedding) and some failures. I still have hits and misses, but many more hits and if I'm working a tried and trusted recipe then I'm pretty confident nowadays that it'll be at least good.

Work on controlling temperature of fermentation first. Get that down, and it'll improve your beer dramatically and make it possible to see what effect other changes are having.

The first batch I made, before I had a clue about what I was doing, was better than any beer I'd ever had before, and it wasn't like I'd never had a great beer before either. It's easy as long as you are careful, probably why so many people excel at it.

every beer I've ever made has always been good and drinkable, but it took me a year or so until I really made a beer that I thought was a winner and comparable to a commercial craft brew. for a long time I wasn't particularly serious about technique or variable control, but once I started really concentrating and quality control (proper pitching rates, temp control, etc) and consequently moving to all grain (not a quality issue but a creativity issue) did I start making really good beer.

Also, I think measuring in time isn't quite right--number of brews is also important. Someone who brews every for 6 months might learn more than someone who brews monthly for a year (all else being equal). Time also plays into it, but both matter.

My first few beers (aside from the Beer Machine fiascos) were really good. Then I bought a cheaper hopped LME kit and the beer was NOT good. As long as you're able to follow directions well, and use good ingredients, the very first beer you make can be a good beer. Of course, I've had some pretty mediocre commercial beers, so being better than them isn't really that difficult. :D

I think if you can keep good low ferm temps, you can make an excellent beer the first time if using a tried and true recipie. IMHO

It took me a few months to make a winning beer. The biggest thing that helped me dial in my process and make a better final product was not rushing the beer along. letting it sit in the primary for at least a month, i also keep a good eye on fermentation temp control.
Last but not least I keep a notebook on processes, when I get a beer that I like its nice to be able to go back and see what went well, I also document things that didnt go well to later see how much they affected the final product. Its interesting when you brew a beer and it tastes different the second and third time around just by changing a few things in the process.

My first beer took me 2 months and was a perfectly drinkable stout. I prefer my second beer, which is an imperial stout and has taken 4 months and will probably benefit from extended aging, but I would certainly have paid for the stout I made as my first batch.

My first batch was a partial mash sweet stout and was amazing.
My next was an oatmeal stout all grain that was pretty OK. I honestly was dissapointed with it, but my friends/family likes it and I did try it next to Sam Smith's oatmeal stout and mine was better!
My third was an all grain hoppy ale that was great as well.
and so on

They all definitely have room for improvement, but I've always thought they were better than your average run of the mill beers. I for sure know none of my stouts have been anywhere near the level of Old Rasputin or whathaveyou, but even right off my ales were better than your big brewery names.

I guess I've had to prove my good ones by doing them about 4 times and seeing if they are the same. Now I've got two recipes after about 3 years of semi regular brewing that I feel I've got nailed down. There were some one-offs early on that were good, but I focused on my standby recipes and dialed them in. Problem is I keep tinkering with equipment. I 've tried some other homebrews from people just starting out that were awesome, and have also had longtime homebrewers' that were ...well...not awesome.

I think it can be done pretty early on for sure...just not by me : )

I'll tell you what I've learned so far in my short time brewing...using time-tested recipes will get you better tasting brews early on. The confidence you build from brewing those will feed your creativity in making small changes and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Most of these recipes have been around for some time, and didn't get put up with a for sale sign for no reason. Try buying a decent kit that isn't outrageous (your friends have to like it so they can taste test) and start there.

Another thing to consider, for when you do start making those exotic crazy beers. A lot of breweries aren't going to pony up the expense to use gratuitous amounts of rare ingredients, and you may have that luxury. You might also have a friend with resources, or a garden, or whatever. Lots of people make awesome homebrew because they aren't worried about the bottom line, or making a profit.

I hope this makes sense because I'm heavily imbibed in some craft beer that I'm reviewing, and thank God for spell checker hahaha Cheers, good luck in your brews! :mug:

I said 6 months to a year only due to my brewing rate - about 8 batches every six months. Even my first ones were good to very good, but until I really felt confident in doing everything properly, ie paying scrupulous attention to the details, my beers were almost as good as quality crafts (still always better than BMC). That's how many batches it took me to become familiar with the combination of the process and my equipment/setup. Now I would have no problem putting mine up against a 9 dollar sixer.

Work on controlling temperature of fermentation first. Get that down, and it'll improve your beer dramatically and make it possible to see what effect other changes are having.

+1

This is SOOO important - was something I learned a hard lesson on with my first batch.

i think the real fun is writing your own recipes. i have made somereally good beers with other peoples recipes, and ive had great results with some kits, but nothing compares to working on a beer that you built from scratch. ive won a few medals in comps, and have said "wow" after tasting some of the beers ive come up with, but i wont go so far as to say any of them are perfect, but i have no problem putting my name on them. with that said, keep in mind a few kegs have been poured out on the front lawn in the process. someone might have already said it, but i how long you have been brewing has nothing to do with it, how much time you put in does. all the hours of research, reading books, listening to podcasts, tasting, testing, keeping notes, thats what counts.

all in all, my favorite thing about brewing is that you can go as far with it as your willing to go. it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. some of us choose to get crazier than others ha ha :mug:

I just have innate brewing talent so my first batch was better than anything anyone else here can brew. ;)

I'll tell you what I've learned so far in my short time brewing...using time-tested recipes will get you better tasting brews early on. The confidence you build from brewing those will feed your creativity in making small changes and figuring out what works and what doesn't. Most of these recipes have been around for some time, and didn't get put up with a for sale sign for no reason. Try buying a decent kit that isn't outrageous (your friends have to like it so they can taste test) and start there.

You know, I love being able to be creative with recipes and beers. That's part of the fun. But sometimes I wonder about a new brewer and his/her zeal to brew something different.

Often, a new brewer will come onto this forum and say, "I want to brew a fruit coconut wheat beer with juniper berries!" and then we never hear from them again when it doesn't taste great. I usually don't respond to those threads, because new brewers don't want to hear my old lady lecture on learning to brew solid styles before making big experiments. I'm also a bit of a style Nazi, so I can't give advice on using gingersnaps in a brown ale.

One of the reasons we require all recipes in our database to have tasting notes, and be proven winners, is so that newer brewers (and experienced ones too) can brew a good beer each and every time. There are plenty of bad recipes on the internet, and a good recipe makes the base of a good beer. Once the basics are down, it's fine to go wild with different ingredients if you'd like. I still haven't mastered the first 22 BJCP styles so I'm not ready to move into the "wild" stuff.

I have been brewing for about a year and it took me far too long to learn what fermentation temps do to my beer. It is probably the most important thing to it. Forget all grain... master that and it opens up a whole new world.

I am hoping that my next beer (getting kegged tomorrow and will sit for 2 more weeks) will be my best yet. It is the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone, but it will really tell me what i have down and if there is a ton of room for improvement. I feel really good about this one and am determined to nail a stout next. The esters that i have produced with my previous batches were absolutely terrible. I no longer have a batch i am happy with (only made two i was) and cannot wait to be proud of my work and feel comfortable sharing it.

Time gets you consistency; you'll hit some good brews early on, and you'll have some misses. As you dial in your process and get more feel for the ingredients, the percentage of good brews goes up.

I had some very good beers in my first 10 (one that a beer aficionado friend had me re-brew for his wedding) and some failures. I still have hits and misses, but many more hits and if I'm working a tried and trusted recipe then I'm pretty confident nowadays that it'll be at least good.

+1.

In my first 6 months of brewing I made several very good beers but was inconsistent. I then stopped brewing for about a year and a half. When I picked it back up in the next year I got more consistent and then I really got serious (including getting small chest freezers and digital temp controllers to ferment) and I know expect to make very good beer and duds are the exception.

I brewed a Kickass IPA extract kit from Austin Homebrew... I messed up my first 2 kits as a result of impatience and a lack of research...but within 6 months I was brewing deliciousness

Right out of the box, everyone did the ol Coopers or the like kit in a can. It is as good as Corona. How many Coronas has any one person paid for?

Good luck with your new hobby.:mug:

My first batch was amazing, it was so good that i was disappointed in every beer i drank afterwards for the next few months. Did it in a Mr. Beer too, i think i got pretty lucky.

Working on the second and third batches right now.. so who knows this time. My temp control's been kinda crappy. Anyway anyone can get lucky, but my first batch is really what got me excited about making beer.

Right out of the box, everyone did the ol Coopers or the like kit in a can. It is as good as Corona. How many Coronas has any one person paid for?

Good luck with your new hobby.:mug:

I recently had Corona in a can (best choice in a luxury box, I miss the Deschutes in the Rose Garden boxes, but I digress), it was pretty good. I would pay for it.

I would probably avoid the light struck clear bottle variant.

I recently had Corona in a can (best choice in a luxury box, I miss the Deschutes in the Rose Garden boxes, but I digress), it was pretty good. I would pay for it.

I would probably avoid the light struck clear bottle variant.

Yeah different strokes for different folks. I was trying to brew a Corona clone when I first started, called the HBS up and told him my dilemma, he asked me if I drank them bottle or can....opened MY eyes. Personally I like the skunky bottles better, but I don't drink Cerveza much. I will make it regularly once I have a good clone) and my Brew Tree is up and running. I will not try to skunk them up.;)

Edit: Back to OP.....I just had another Smithwicks, got on the "What Are You Drinking Now?" thread and was mentioning how good it was. I just now poured my Nutty Brown Ale clone, that I got from someone at Home Berw Talk (can't remember at the moment:drunk:) and The Nutty Brown is a better beer IMHO.

You know, I love being able to be creative with recipes and beers. That's part of the fun. But sometimes I wonder about a new brewer and his/her zeal to brew something different.

Often, a new brewer will come onto this forum and say, "I want to brew a fruit coconut wheat beer with juniper berries!" and then we never hear from them again when it doesn't taste great. I usually don't respond to those threads, because new brewers don't want to hear my old lady lecture on learning to brew solid styles before making big experiments. I'm also a bit of a style Nazi, so I can't give advice on using gingersnaps in a brown ale.

One of the reasons we require all recipes in our database to have tasting notes, and be proven winners, is so that newer brewers (and experienced ones too) can brew a good beer each and every time. There are plenty of bad recipes on the internet, and a good recipe makes the base of a good beer. Once the basics are down, it's fine to go wild with different ingredients if you'd like. I still haven't mastered the first 22 BJCP styles so I'm not ready to move into the "wild" stuff.

i completely agree with this, but i do think every once in a while, its time to get silly ha ha. but before anyone goes the crazy route, you gotta be prepared for the worst, and willing to let go if the beer you made is just disgusting. not everything was meant to be in beer. my back lawn has had its share of abuse with dumped batches, but i gotta say, when the experiments go wrong, it reels me back in, and makes me a better brewer. CHEERS

My second brew.

My first brew was all grain and I got antsy and botched my mash temp (got up to 177). I also messed with my carboy too much. The beer was drinkable but finished really bitter.

My second brew is PHENOMENAL. Hit my mash perfect, and left the carboy. Drank a beer after being in bottle for less than a week and I had a HUUUUGE smile on my face.

Back