How long should primary be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAmGood

Reaction score
How long do you guys keep your beer in primary fermentation?

I usually wait at least a week and check the gravity. I ferment at room temp. Lately I have had allot of activity in my secondary even though my gravity reading is where it needs to be, but I deviated from the recipe, I used some different grains and changed the malt extract from 7lbs light to 4lbs light and 3lbs dark. I wonder if this would have changed the expected OG and FG? This is DeFalcos India Pale Ale, "BasicBrew Recipe"

What can I do to ensure the yeast has indeed run it's course? Even if the gravity reading seems right it could be possible there maybe more fuel for the yeast.

Should I keep in primary longer?

This is my dark IPA, the primary was very vigorous for the first three days then ramped down as usual. My reading was 1.015 when I racked to secondary, but in secondary it started up again, I had to change the water in the air lock, it did not blow off or anything like that, and once I changed the air lock everything seemed to calm down but then I noticed the sediment accumualting on the carboy ridges and walls. I wonder if I should leave it in primary longer?

Thanks!
:rockin:

5424-i-sampled-tasted-good-when-i-put-into-secondary.jpg

We've really done this discussion to death on here. It's one of the most discussed and debated subjects on here, there really is plenty of material for you to read already already answering your question, and really any other question o the topic you may have.

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the uber discussion on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Most everyone on here has ventured their opinions on the subject many many times, and most of them have ended up in the above thread. Most folks will pass this thread by because, although this discussion is fresh to you, it's a dead horse to many folks, so if you really do want opinions, and even some facts and citations, and articles, podcasts and other things on this topic, hit that thread.

Quite a lot of us leave our beers in primary 3-4 weeks.

Thanks! I will read that!

Guess I sound like a NOOB! Thats why I'm here though so I understand and not just following a cake recipe.

Latest posts

Back