how long should i?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolbert

Reaction score
how long should i carb my american pale ale at 14psi?

5gal corny keg. dont wanna force carb. just wanna keep at 13-15psi, how long would be good?

Just to clarify the terminology you are force carbing (as opposed to naturally carbing with yeast and suger) - you are describing the set and forget method. You can also burst carb, a form of force carbing where you initially set at a higher pressure.

It will likely take about 2 wks to be fully carbed but I often start drinking my beers around a week and they are pretty good. My equilibrium target is about 2.6 vols with 14 psi at 41*.

Just to clarify the terminology you are force carbing (as opposed to naturally carbing with yeast and suger) - you are describing the set and forget method. You can also burst carb, a form of force carbing where you initially set at a higher pressure.

It will likely take about 2 wks to be fully carbed but I often start drinking my beers around a week and they are pretty good. My equilibrium target is about 2.6 vols with 14 psi at 41*.

what does 2.6 vols mean?

thanks for clearing all that up too.

2.6 is the carbonation level in volumes of CO2. The carbonation chart above shows the volumes that you get with any given combo of pressure and temp. Most commercial beers are probably in the 2.5-2.7 vol range. Bottled Belgians, wheats, etc. are usually higher in the 3.0+ range. I find 2.6 is good enough for pretty much everything I'm serving except stuff on my nitro faucet, so I just run 6 lines off my single primary at 14 psi (and 41*F). If you want to serve different beers at different carb levels you will need multiple primary or secondary regulators.

Latest posts

Back