How long is too long in the fermenter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qonos

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd extract batch. The last one tasted bad....not sure if the kit was old or what.

This one is a hefeweizen from my lhbs but I have gotten busy (translated = lazy) and left it in the fermenter for about 5 weeks. I see nothing on the surface of it but am worried it will turn out like the last batch, hence my question.... How long is too long in the fermenter?

I've gone 2 months no issues, but also I've gone 2 weeks and had issues--be careful sticking anything in it or running it through anything you haven't taken apart and sanitized is the moral of that story. If you're leaving it in the fermenter just let it be until you're ready to deal with it. The more you mess with it the more chance of introducing bugs or oxygen. But letting it sit undisturbed should not, in and of itself, be any issue.

It has been closed the whole time. I will take that gravity reading tonight then. thanks. If it is still not at the FG or close can I pitch another packet of yeast in?????

Chance are if it's near the predicted FG that's all you're going to get, could be because the yeast were stressed or underpitched or the kits wasn't as fermentable due to age or other condition.

You'll learn something new each brew, sanitize everything and take measurements the result will be beer.

5 weeks should be no problem- I frequently leave beers in the primary for up to 4 weeks, and in a pinch have let them go 6 weeks. That said, you should debug what was wrong with the last batch and try to correct that to eliminate variables. Cheers.

I leave every batch I make in the fermenter for 30 days. (Primary only)

Not one problem to date.

I had left one in the carboy for 6 weeks due to time issues. No problem.

And whoever said hefe is done in 2 weeks bottle NOW..... I have made hefe and let it sit the 30 days no issue.

I am on my 3rd extract batch. The last one tasted bad....not sure if the kit was old or what.

This one is a hefeweizen from my lhbs but I have gotten busy (translated = lazy) and left it in the fermenter for about 5 weeks. I see nothing on the surface of it but am worried it will turn out like the last batch, hence my question.... How long is too long in the fermenter?

Time in the fermenter is probably not to blame for the bad tasting beer. Have your other batches tasted OK? Where are you getting your water?

Early in my brewing I tried to use our local tap water having been assured by the LHBS proprietor that it would be fine. It worked well for a few months then came three batches in a row when the beer was awful. I finally learned through speaking to an engineer at our public utility office that our tap water varies seasonally. During the period I was having my problems it quite likely contained chlormines.

Moral to the story? Water is the single most abundant ingredient in beer. Get your water from a known and consistently good source.

Time in fermenter will vary a lot with style but 2 - 6 weeks is probably not a problem with almost any beer. Personally, I'll package an APA or IPA sooner because I want the freshness of the hops. It's not unusual to keep a big beer such as an Imperial Stout in secondary for a very long time, some will hold them up to a year.

I have a saison in the fermenter that's been sitting for like 4 months. It's crystal clear and looks tasty, just don't want the hassle of bottling a 1 gallon batch. Maybe today while the kid naps.

I once left a black kolsch in the beer fridge for 9 months.
Tasted fine.

I have done a few ESB last year. The best one was left in the primary for 9 weeks.

Instead of thinking "this Should be bottled after 2 weeks" think "You can bottle this as soon as two weeks" which is more accurate imho

Back