How long is "too long" for primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegame310

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I brewed a batch on Jan 21st.

During that time I moved out of my apartment and into a new house. Sadly, i still have to pay rent on the apartment for 3 months, so some of my stuff is still sitting there.

Yesterday I finally picked up the beer making equipment. Which included the 5 gallons of wort that has been sitting in primary since Jan 21st.

I bottled it last night when I got home.

Should I be worried about any off flavors or anything like that?

As long as it was kept at a proper temperature you shouldnt worry too much. I've done 8 week primary ferments with no secondary and things came out just fine. I know that theres alot of talk and argument about yeast autolysis(sp?) but I think it only becomes a big issue with huge conical fermenters and the large pressures on a yeast cake in the bottom of that. Someone else more schooled in yeast science may correct me...but I don't think you have much to worry about.

I guess the only thing to worry about if something 'fermented' (fermentation actually stopped long ago...its just conditioning in the same vessel now to be technically correct) for a long time is yeast flocculation. If you have a highly flocculent yeast and it is almost all settled out, you might have bottle carbing issues (not an problem if you ever keg). but since this was only a single stage fermentation, you probably roused enough yeast when transferring to a bottling bucket that you have some in suspension to do the duties of making bubbles.

I guess the only thing to worry about if something 'fermented' (fermentation actually stopped long ago...its just conditioning in the same vessel now to be technically correct) for a long time is yeast flocculation. If you have a highly flocculent yeast and it is almost all settled out, you might have bottle carbing issues (not an problem if you ever keg). but since this was only a single stage fermentation, you probably roused enough yeast when transferring to a bottling bucket that you have some in suspension to do the duties of making bubbles.

Yeah, also i'm sure on the trip home some yeast was roused.

I have had beer in primary for 6 months before, and it turned out fine.

The issue is. Hope flavor drops quite quickly, and peak flavor might be long since passed. so I think just bottle condition.

Due to a really bad brew day, I decided to leave my beer in primary for a while, I was thinking like 12 weeks. I pushed it to the back of the closet and forgot about it for about 11 months (I had 10 fermenters at the time, all of which were always full). It wasn't like a barley wine or a huge beer either, it was just a 6% steam beer. I was a little worried about it, but I kegged it and it was one of the best beers I've ever made! Since then I leave all of my beers (unless its a low abv wheat or really hoppy IPA) in primary at least 12 weeks and I think my beers have improved a lot since I started that practice.

I'm actually thinking about a minimum of four weeks in primary for all of my beers. I don't believe 6 weeks will hurt at all.

January 21st of which year? As long as your airlock had liquid in it your beer will be fine. Another brewer I converse with left on in the fermenter for 8 months and he said it turned out good.

I've left beer on the yeast for four months without off flavors. With healthy yeasts and good sanitation, I don't think autolysis is very likely at homebrew volumes. Certainly not in 6 weeks.

As the crowd says, you'll be fine. I'm actually about to rack a beer out of primary, and it's been there six weeks, as well (I also brewed on the MLK offday). I, however, plan to rack this one to secondary and bulk age it at least a couple more weeks (it's a Belgian golden strong). I need my primary, though, for another beer.

As for the yeast dropping out too much to bottle? Pish tosh. Last year, I did a four week primary followed by a four month secondary, and that beer carbed up like a champ.

I am in a similar situation. I brewed a batch January this year and I'm now ready bottle. The only differences are:

• The batch is a low ABV (Rasperry Wheat Ale)
  • It is still in the primary carboy

I have yet to bottle it in the case that I can do something preventative for better tasting opportunity. What should I do? Bottle as normal?

Hey all,

So, I brewed a batch on Jan 21st.

QUOTE]

I helped a guy shutdown his homebrew store once.

Near the end I came across two plastic buckets of beer. (an IPA and a Octoberfest)

He said I could have them,

I said "How long have they been there.

He said "six months!"

I had read about O2 screwing up the beer and was hesitant but I took them home, put them on the counter to settle for 24 hours, kegged them the next day and force carbonated them.

The IPA had no problems and the Octoberfest I would say was on the backside of the bell-curve but drinkable.

Since then I don't worry at all about using Carboys, secondariys, or how long the beer is in plastic...

Most of my beers stay in the Primary 4 weeks and then are kegged...

Just wanted to follow up and note that the beer I mentioned above that was in primary for six weeks? Yeah, some things came up. I didn't rack it for three more weeks, then let it secondary for two more weeks.

At bottling time, the beer was light in flavor, with some great pear esters and a dry finish. In short, delicious. Don't fear the long primary.

Just wanted to follow up and note that the beer I mentioned above that was in primary for six weeks? Yeah, some things came up. I didn't rack it for three more weeks, then let it secondary for two more weeks.

At bottling time, the beer was light in flavor, with some great pear esters and a dry finish. In short, delicious. Don't fear the long primary.

I would think that after six (6) weeks in the Primary that moving it was a bit su-per-flu-ous... and just adds risk.

BUT (the brewing process seems to be full of myth, opinions, and exceptions!)

I am glad it all came out good.

I had planned to keg my low gravity beers after a week but it has been cooled than expected so I will give it (25 gallons)a few more days (10 days...) (going away for the weekend).. like you I am not worried, though I ned it soon because I am almost out of beer.

I would think that after six (6) weeks in the Primary that moving it was a bit su-per-flu-ous... and just adds risk.

BUT (the brewing process seems to be full of myth, opinions, and exceptions!)

I am glad it all came out good.

I had planned to keg my low gravity beers after a week but it has been cooled than expected so I will give it (25 gallons)a few more days (10 days...) (going away for the weekend).. like you I am not worried, though I ned it soon because I am almost out of beer.

I'm the first to tell you that secondary is not necessary. But risk? Psh. If I can't sanitize a glass carboy, I'm in trouble from more than a secondary.

I secondary because I like the safety net to ensure that I leave the trub out of the bottling bucket. The process works for me, so I use it.

Back