How long is BIAB taking you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No-chill combined with BIAB is a real work saver. I don't think I'll ever go back to three vessel brewing.

Same here, although I went from extract brewing to BIAB. I had planned to build a nice brew rig, but now I don't really see the point (for me). I spend maybe 4 hours on one day, then no-chill overnight and pitch the next day. If I'm rushed, I'll sometimes do a 30-minute mash and a 45-minute boil to get done even quicker, but I don't enjoy that as much.

Started milling at noon, done around 4. Somewhere in there I picked up a 2nd carboy (one of those 5 gallon bottles that go into a water cooler) and milled another 10 lbs and as soon as the brew pot was free I started batch #2, just rinsing out the equipment. I was done about 6:30, got two 5 gallon batches. Cleaned up the next day.

I'm not worried about bottling and capping because I've been reusing 1L flavored carbonated water bottles. The process goes much faster with those things because no cleaning necessary.

Haven't tried that yet, though that would shift my schedule somewhat. I just might give that a try to see how it differs from what I'm doing now.

No-chill combined with BIAB is a real work saver. I don't think I'll ever go back to three vessel brewing.

I really wish I had the nerve to try no-chill, I'm just so afraid something will go wrong. I live in the country and have an older well and I would really like not having to use all that well water to chill.

What precautions do you take? Like you said, this seems like the perfect match for BIAB and simplicity.

I really wish I had the nerve to try no-chill, I'm just so afraid something will go wrong. I live in the country and have an older well and I would really like not having to use all that well water to chill.

What precautions do you take? Like you said, this seems like the perfect match for BIAB and simplicity.

Precautions? True no-chill, you just make sure the lid for the brew kettle is sanitized or the jerrycan/fermenter is clean and capable of withstanding the 200+ degree wort.

The real considerations are mostly around flavor and aroma hop additions.

Minimal chill...similar considerations but once you drop to about 175f you add hops so whatever you stir it in with needs attention regarding sanitation. this adjustment can basically be used to take care of the flavor/aroma hop issue, especially in conjunction with dry hopping.

I have only done one no chill and about 3 partial chill batches but plan to do more n the future. For no chill, I do stouts and porters. I brew in the early morning and pitch the following morning. For partial chill, I finish up about 5 PM and toss it in the fermentation chamber to pitch the following morning.

I measure my brew day by time spent actively brewing.

This.

If the only thing I'm doing is brewing BIAB, it is about 3.5 hours, sometimes 3 if I decide to clean in place and let things soak overnight.

If I'm doing other stuff, its often 4-5 hours from start to done, but the lawn gets mowed, garage cleaned up, car washed, or off to the grocery store during the mash.

t

I use an eBIAB rig and I'm in the 5-6 hour camp from start to finish. Although I clean well after each brew session, I always boil a few gallons of water - run it through the pump/CF chiller and all of the lines, then dump that and add my RO water and start the brewing process. Like others I also do a 90 minute mash so that adds 30 minutes. Yep 5-6 hours.

Don

I brew inside my garage and right before flame out, I sanitize the lid of the kettle. After flame out, the lid goes on and the kettle (which is on castors) is rolled into the back climate controlled part of the garage. Then I spray Starsan on the outside around the top of the kettle. If I don't pitch yeast within a day (which is rare), I wrap the top with Saran wrap.

BTW, i live in the country and use a well too.

Back