how long is a rosalare cake good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
pulled off about 2 cups of slurry from a rosalare cake and fed it some new wort about 6-7 months ago. Since then I forgot about it in my garage in anywhere from 60-90F temperatures....
I don't care about the sachh yeast in there, but will the rest be viable if I threw that into a fermentation to create a lambic type beer? Maybe threw in a few extra dregs of this and that in there with it as well?
Think the cake is still viable?

Thanks!

If I can piggyback off this, I have a similar question. I have a Oud Bruin fermenting and plan on leaving in primary until ready to keg. If it stays there 8-12 months, can this cake be reused?

in both cases you'll be fine, there should still be plenty of bugs in there. i wouldn't expect much, if any, sacch to be viable but the brett, pedio and lacto should still be present.

hopefully you had good sanitation and kept your slurries isolated (closed off) from the outside world, to ensure that you don't have any additional critters that snuck in there...

In addition to what Sweetcell said, it is often recommended to pitch fresh Sacch yeast onto old sour yeast cakes. When I pitch on my old yeast cakes, I tend to let the wort go for 3-4 days before pitching fresh Sacch so as to get the beer more sour.

Back