How long in secondary before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I was just wondering how long you could possibly leave your brew in the secondary and still have enough active yeast available to prime for bottling? Thanks!

I dont do a secondary. I just let it ride in the primary until the FG is met ,then bottle. Usually from brew day to bottle i'm looking at 2 weeks to 18 days the longest. Then 2 weeks post bottle to carb up at room temp,then its sit in the fridge 3 days and ready to drink.

If you do a secondary and depending on the style and what you are trying to achieve, the average is a week or less.
I only do secondaries now for long term aging.

I never trust that the yeast will still be viable, especially with high ABV beers. The alcohol is a toxic environment for them. Adding fresh yeast at bottling with long term aged beers is insurance that you will have carbed beer. Better safe than sorry. When i first started doing high ABV beers i did two back to back. I wasn't aware of the adding yeast at bottling trick at the time. Neither carbed properly, even after a year or two in the bottle

I believe he is asking about bulk aging, not bottling. In certain instances bulk aging in a secondary has a purpose.

Back