How long have i been doing it wrong for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for me i find it easier to gradually add grains while continuously stirring. makes for even distribution and less dough balls.

i don't think it's "wrong" unless you aren't mixing thoroughly

Usually the rule is to add the grain to the hot water. It is true for making beer, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Helps avoid clumps and therefor improves distribution of the water.

It can work the other way, but I think it is easier to add the grain to the water and stir as you go along.

Are you getting the efficiency you are meant to? Is your beer tasting great? Are you happy with your beers?

Then you are doing it right, the right way for you.

Water first vs grain first one of those idiotic arguments that really means nothing in the grander scheme of things. Like which way your toilet paper hangs on the roll. Or even the dreaded Batch vs Fly argument. Both ways make beer.....Both ways can make great beer, or crappy beer depending on the brewer.

You will find that there are very few "absolutes" in brewing, there is as many successful ways to brew beer, as there are brewers. There's really no "right way" just the preferred way. In fact if you ask 10 brewers how they do something, you will usually get 12 different answers, and all of them will be right, and all will be defended heatedly on countless internet forums to no avail...some folks are always going to do it differently.

Now having said that, I prefer to go water then grain. That way I can pre-heat my mash tun by over heat the water a few degrees and letting the cooler acclimate to the water and then let it drop to my strike water temp. Plus I find it easier to have someone stir while dump grain in gradually, and I can prevent doughballs that way. It seems easier to move the grains in the bed of water than the other way around.

I just did a 25pound grainbill in a 71 quart mashtun with 11 gallons of water, and it was pretty thick and I couldn't imagine trying to mix it if the grain was already in the tun.

Plus the temps were dead on.

But this is what works for me. I did a couple the way you did, and then read the same thing you did and decided to switch and although I never really noticed if it was difficult or not in smaller batches, I just found that water first worked better for me.

Your mileage may vary....the only way to know is to try it (and anything in brewing) different ways and choose what works for you, and makes, in your mind a better beer.

That's called developing your brewing process...Something that is uniquely yours.

That is what will make good beer. You!!!

:mug:

I add water to the grains and have never had a bit of a problem to the point I never thought it was an issue until I read this. For me it is easier to add my grains first, that way I have that step complete while I am heating the water.

I've never seen anyone sparge by adding the mashed grain to hot water. Not to say it doesn't happen, but every book, every YouTube that I've ever watched, folks are adding hot water to their mashed grain bed.

Is your question relating to sparging? or mashing?

I've never seen anyone sparge by adding the mashed grain to hot water. Not to say it doesn't happen, but every book, every YouTube that I've ever watched, folks are adding hot water to their mashed grain bed.

He's really not talking about sparging here, he is meaning the mash step. He just happened to mention that he batch sparges. But you always sparge whether it is batch or fly- water onto grain, it's the order that the grain gets into the tun eventually is what he thinks he is doing wrong.

for me i find it easier to gradually add grains while continuously stirring. makes for even distribution and less dough balls.

i don't think it's "wrong" unless you aren't mixing thoroughly

What are dough balls anyway? I hear people talk about them but I can't imagine balls forming while mashing. Are they using something else in their mash besides grain?

dough balls are areas in the mash that water has not permeated, creating a ball. such as adding water to sand, unless you mix it well, you will have dry areas.

dough balls are areas in the mash that water has not permeated, creating a ball. such as adding water to sand, unless you mix it well, you will have dry areas.

Is this really a problem? I mean, I have never had them but I always give the grains a good stiring regardless. Some people talk about them like they are a pain or problem, I don't see it.

I've never had a problem either, but I stir like mad. I think some people are hesitant or don't have a good mash paddle or something.

I'd put money on that you have indeed had them, but just didn't know it. It's "almost" unavoidable to get 1 or 2 small ones. Mine seem to hide towards the bottom, so when I stir I also pull up with my paddle.

When I add strike water to the grain, I fill the mash tun from the bottom, up. I don't know if this helps fight dough balls or not though, because I use a paint stirrer on a cordless drill to stir the mash. I can get the entire 10 gallon batch of mash spinning in the mash tun with that thing, and I usually move it around a lot to make sure all the grain is homogeneous. Very good rate of return for your $5 investment.

I'd put money on that you have indeed had them, but just didn't know it. It's "almost" unavoidable to get 1 or 2 small ones. Mine seem to hide towards the bottom, so when I stir I also pull up with my paddle.

No I really don't think so, but could it be it happens in high grain amount recipes? I probably have gone no higher than 12lbs in a 5 gal recipe and usually just around 10 lb. I have never brewed a double or triple or anything, don't even know how.

it's like adding water to flour, sometimes little balls of flour form. the water doesn't permeate the flour. so, if you have grain that formed a ball that water wasn't getting at, it obviously wouldn't get any sugar out of it.

it's possible you had a few tiny ones and didn't notice. not that a few tiny ones will do anything really...

I always put yhe water into the mash tun first.about 20degrees hotter than the recipe calls for. it helps to preheat the mashtun then wait for temps to cool to proper temp then add the grain

Yeah, I suppose in ten years I've had a few little, bitty, teeny, tiny dry spots.

No, I'm certain I haven't. Like Revvy I pre-heat the tun with water and add the grain. I mash thin and stir. And because I have a square tun, I stir mid-mash as well.

By the way, anyone who does over has never lived with a cat or a small child. Or is lucky enough to no longer have either around.

When I add strike water to the grain, I fill the mash tun from the bottom, up. I don't know if this helps fight dough balls or not though, because I use a paint stirrer on a cordless drill to stir the mash. I can get the entire 10 gallon batch of mash spinning in the mash tun with that thing, and I usually move it around a lot to make sure all the grain is homogeneous. Very good rate of return for your $5 investment.

ah, neat idea, because my mash paddle is really a stainless spoon that gets bent to sh*t.

but, do you really want to aerate the mash?

ah, neat idea, because my mash paddle is really a stainless spoon that gets bent to sh*t.

but, do you really want to aerate the mash?

I haven't noticed any problems. Are you concerned about hot side areation, here? I don't think that really comes into play until you get the wort really hot, like in the boil kettle. Many of the breweries I have toured have a continuous stirring action on the mash, so I figured a good vigorous stir at the beginning and midpoint should be fine. Are you maybe concerned about efficiency?

I just did a small 2.5gal SMaSH with Maris Otter. 5lbs of grain into the MLT onto the strike water and still had about 5 small dough balls. I don't think it matters like Revy says, just go with what you are comfortable with.

Are you getting the efficiency you are meant to? Is your beer tasting great? Are you happy with your beers?

Then you are doing it right, the right way for you.

Rev is right here. However, I preheat my mashtun with my strike water. I find it easier to get my initial strike temperature correct doing it this way.

Back