How long grains keep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpat

Reaction score
I’m planning on brewing on Black Friday. The only chance I will have To go to the home brew store is this Saturday. Will crushed grains last until then or will it get stale or lose flavor?

Like many other brewing questions, you will get diffrent answers depending who you ask.

Stored dark, cool, and dry, they will last for months without a problem.

I quite often buy crushed grain ahead of brew day - by weeks sometimes. My standard practice is to immediately throw them in the freezer side of my kegerator (no food or other smells in the freezer as it is dedicated to grain and hops) then bring it out the night before brew day. No off flavors that I have noted. My efficiency is always good.

Cheers! Don

The better the quality the container (seal + plastic type), the longer the grain will keep. Milled grains will easily stay fresh for a few weeks in my Rubbermaid Cereal Keepers. If you're looking at storing longer than that, you might want to look at something like the Vittles Vault. Controlling the temperature by keeping it cool will also help.

Well I guess it should be okay then. Should I put it in the fridge?

You should be fine provided the grains are kept in an air tight package

I'm curious to how long cracked grains will last too. I have a 5 gallon brown ale recipe with the grains already cracked. I ordered offline about a year ago before I had a grain mill and it's sitting in my 10 gallon igloo unfinished mash tun.

Back