How long for Nottingham to clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyearp

Reaction score
So real quick, I started some cider with Nottingham a week ago Saturday. With EC-1118 it will still be cloudy after week one, but clear pretty much by the end of week two. With S-04, well, it clears real fast.

I use pectic enzyme on all my batches. This is with store bought juice. It did seem to have a bit of an off odor though.

With EC-1118 it's cloudy for me until almost 4 weeks. With US-05 and Nottingham I've found it's a week earlier. However, EC-1118 produces a more boozy/wine taste rather than a clean ale taste. Both are good, but the ale yeasts tend to mellow out faster IME.

I used 1118 in one batch and Notty in another. After 5 weeks the 1118 is still hazy, the Notty batch (4 weeks) is clear.

As mentioned, the 1118 is more wine tasting, the Notty is more like what I think Cider tastes like. (The 1118 reminds me more of Apfelwein than Cider, but not quite right for Apfelwein - maybe my juice wasn't the same as the blend of apples they use in Frankfurt? Close, though).

Then it must have to do with the cooler temps this time of year. My earlier batches were done earlier this year when the temps were warmer. I'm going to take a reading and taste test tonight and see what's what.

Back