How long for Hazelnut to mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Holy cow, Hazelnut is a potent extract! I only added .5 oz to a 5 gallon batch of Chocolate Porter and it's too much.:drunk:

Is this a flavor that will mellow out with time? Are we talking about a really long time?

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

No idea how long it would take or if it will ever but here's a tip you may or may not have heard of for adding extracts.

Go to a pharmacy and ask for a regular syringe without the needle. Take a standard bottle of brown ale and add very small amounts of hazelnut extract to it until you think it tastes right. Then do a simple proportion to figure out how much you'd need in the full 5 gallon batch.

From my experience you may get a little mellowing over time, but not really a whole lot. I did a hazelnut brown and, like you, added .5oz and it was way too much for me. Others liked it, but it sat and sat and sat for a few months and never really lost it. You could always do up another batch of the base brew and blend them.

From my experience you may get a little mellowing over time, but not really a whole lot. I did a hazelnut brown and, like you, added .5oz and it was way too much for me. Others liked it, but it sat and sat and sat for a few months and never really lost it. You could always do up another batch of the base brew and blend them.

Thanks. So even after a few months it didn't mellow huh? That's what I was afraid of. I'm really surprised that an amount that small could be so powerful. I added the amount from Jamil's recipe too, it's not like I just guessed and added an amount.

I could just brew the base recipe again. That's not a bad idea. I might also age it for a long time even though I'll be risking oxidation. Thanks.

How many teaspoons is 0.5oz?

I've done both 1 tsp and 1 Tbsp for my hazelnut stouts. The tablespoon was a bit much but the teaspoon was nice.

I had the same problem where the hazelnut flavor didn't mellow. The biggest problem is that all extracts are not created equal - if you're trying out a new brand, definitely err on the side of less, you can always add more.

I had the same problem where the hazelnut flavor didn't mellow. The biggest problem is that all extracts are not created equal - if you're trying out a new brand, definitely err on the side of less, you can always add more.

This is absolutely the right answer. I just learned it the hard way. I mean, it's not undrinkable, in fact my wife likes it. It's just a little too much for me.

I had this same problem with a Hazlenut chocolate porter I brewed a couple months ago. I only used half the vial and it seemed like way too much for almost a month. It did mellow a lot though and balanced out. That or I just got used to it??? Near the end of the keg I almost wanted a little more hazlenut as I could hardly taste it.

What hazelnut extract did you all use? I had the exact opposite problem. I used the extract from austin home brew and used the whole bottle in a big porter, it was completely undetectable.

I use BrewCraft.

Haha! I just looked at the directions on mine. It says to use the entire 2oz bottle. I think that would kill me.

Latest posts

Back