How long for autolysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnythering

Reaction score
I've had a batch sitting in primary at around 68 degrees for roughly three months. Am I screwed? Haven't tasted it yet.

How long does it typically take for autolysis to set in?

Taste it.

If the airlock hasn't gone dry you'r fine WRT autolysis induced off-flavors.

Not at all remotely likely or probable given the time-frame your discussing.

Do you know what autolysis tastes like?

I don't.

TL,DR

You're fine

I have only heard/read that autolysis smells like death, because that's what it is. I imagine the taste would be similar.

I dumped some yeast I had stored washed that I planned to use. It was vile when I tipped it. If your yeast has got to that stage you will KNOW about it before you even sip a sample.

Isn't a cardboardy taste caused by autolysis?

Autolysis is pretty unlikely at homebrew volumes and the time frame you've given. Give it a wiff and a taste.

Autolyzed yeast smells and tastes like Marmite and Soy Sauce and gets worse with time.

I had an old ale sitting on a yeast cake for that long, and the beer started to taste a bit like Marmite, but not over the top yet. After racking it off, bottling, and letting it "condition" for another year, it became actually quite palatable. I really liked it blended in the glass with a sour ale that came from the same wort.

I haven't stuck my head in the fermenter so I'm not sure. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks I feel a lot better now about this.

1677015215531.png

And that post is 7 years old...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back