How long dose a keg last you...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudog

Reaction score
Yes I know eveyone is different, I just want to know how long a corny keg last you... I'm sure it depends a lot of things for most. I like to brew beer that I know that I'm going to drink, So I know it's not going to be hangin around very long. I like to do 5gals at a time for that very reason. :tank:
I think my beer comes out very good and I like drinking it and I don't mind shairing it. And now that I think of it the beer i've made that I did not like that much I drank pretty damn fast. Hummm....

Salud:mug:

2 hours to 2 years. That long end is affected by the fact that I haven't been brewing much longer than that.

The last one my brother and I had (filled from a brewery, not our home brew) lasted us 5 days. We both liked the beer very much and have since realized that we'd need to slow down because we won't be able to keep beer on tap at that rate.

To fix that though, we brewed three beers this last weekend, and I'm already planning two more this month. Hopefully with 9 kegs we can keep the supply chain in tact.

2 hours to 2 years. That long end is affected by the fact that I haven't been brewing much longer than that.

For just me and Bob, a keg might last two weeks if we're loving it, longer if it's a heavy beer or a style we don't quaff. An Arrogant Bastard clone will stay around longer than an APA, for example. I don't think I've ever had a keg more than about 3 months. Either we drink it by then, or we encourage friends to drink it.

So figure if you have a true 5 gallons per corny that you'll get 53 glasses of 12oz. beer, 40 glasses of 16oz. beer or 10 1/2 gallon growlers. It goes pretty quick eh?

No way to say exactly. Depends entirely on available variety, number of drinkers, and rotation of purchased packaged beers.

I, for one, am a slave to variety. I am the sole drinker in the house aside from the occasional 1 or 2 visits or the very rare "bring a gallon to the party". And, i regulary buy commercial craft bottled beer. Of the 6 working taps in my house, 2 have been changed out this year.

Generally speaking 10-14 days. Depending on style and strength it can be longer.

I bottle, but one 5 gallon batch lasts me about 3.5 weeks. I have one or two a night; wife only has one or two on weekends. However, if friends come over for a shindig; all bets are off. :mug:

I've had some kegs that lasted 6 months (and ended up getting dumped) purely because I'm the only one in my house that drinks, I don't have that many friends, and have 8 taps. But as Yooper pointed out, if it's a beer I'm into, usually it lasts me 3 weeks or so?

I had an APA that lasted 3 days. On the other hand, I've got a 7.5% Belgian Dubbel that's been on tap for 7 months.

Ultimately, it depends on the strength of the beer, and how much help I have.

Once a month I get to unload a bunch of beer on my fellow brew club members, which helps keep the kegs in rotation when I don't have much other help.

TB

^^Wow, your averaging almost a gallon a day. Hope you have some help:mug:

I usually kick one a month. Sometimes 2.

Yeah I have some help. The wife loves the beer and friends are always greeted with a fresh pour when they come over for a visit. We have a motto at our house.

"Good Times Happen Here"

About a week less than I'd like it to.

(On a more serious note, two weeks for my session beers, three to fours weeks for my other stuff.)

And in case you were wondering, 5' 11" - 150 pounds. There is no such thing as a beer gut.

I've had some kegs that lasted 6 months (and ended up getting dumped) purely because I'm the only one in my house that drinks, I don't have that many friends, and have 8 taps. But as Yooper pointed out, if it's a beer I'm into, usually it lasts me 3 weeks or so?

I had no idea what beers for me were most common so i had to really evaluate what it was I was buying. To the point i kept a log for a year. To my surprise, completely opposite of what I assumed, I was brewing the big beers and nursing kegs for months but buying the quaffable beers over and over and over.

Rediculous I thought! But true. Everything I have tapped now is well over 6%. Most are 9% or better and have been on tap now for 6 months to a year.

It's high time that change and I start brewing what I drink most and buy in bottles what I have the occasional hankering for.

It's high time that change and I start brewing what I drink most and buy in bottles what I have the occasional hankering for.

Thats a great resolution... and I agree 100%. Before kegging I would brew a bunch of stuff that wasn't a standard around here, and I still have bottles of that left. once I started kegging I was brewing my wife's favorite blonde, ESBs, APAs, and this awesome roasted pecan brown... between those I can justify brewing once or twice a month and my beer purchases have dropped significanty.

If I see my purchasing trends towards a certain style I will throw a recipe of that in the mix, next up black IPA and my first pilsner (for the war dept.)

I had no idea what beers for me were most common so i had to really evaluate what it was I was buying. To the point i kept a log for a year. To my surprise, completely opposite of what I assumed, I was brewing the big beers and nursing kegs for months but buying the quaffable beers over and over and over.

Rediculous I thought! But true. Everything I have tapped now is well over 6%. Most are 9% or better and have been on tap now for 6 months to a year.

Same here. I noticed that my light ales, pale ales, pilseners, and cream stouts were the ones that didn't last long in the keg, while the Belgian ales and IIPAs lasted a long time. It's nice to have some big beers on tap, but it forces the beers that I drink more often to wait longer in the queue. And that's with 4 taps.

TB

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly, and what's more I need to be better about seasonal brewing in 2011 as well. This whole "brewing my autumn beers at the end of September, my winter beers in December" etc. is ridiculous.

Like you, I tend to keep buying commercial beers, usually the IPAs or session beers. I seem to have serious problems brewing anything less than 6% ABV - even when I TRY they end up high.

In most cases a corny will last 2-3 week and to me the seems about right... I like to always keep one in the pipeline, this way I stay in the hobby and I ways have one ready to go. I have a session in the primary right now, it's a scottish 60- I wanted to try something different ( should finish at 4.5 or so). It seems that I've been brewing a lot of Stouts and IPA's and I buy Stout and I'PA's so time to change it up abit... and one more thing, I think I'm going to start bottleing 6-12 beers so I can see what it would taste like in the future....

Back