How long does your oxygen tank last you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I recently started using pure oxygen to aerate my wort. I bought a little red canister from my hardware store. For my first two batches, I attached the stone, boiled it in water for a couple of minutes, then dunked it in the beer and opened the valve to let it bubble for a minute. For the third batch (a lager), I let it flow for a full 4 minutes, but the tank ran out by the end.

I feel like I should be getting more than 3 batches per tank of oxygen. Am I aerating way too long? Opening the valve too much? Do you guys normally have much bigger tanks? Or is it normal for a tank of oxygen to run out in 5 batches or less?

I generally get about a dozen batches (1.060 ales, average) per tank. I run on low setting for about 30 seconds. I start by draining into fermenter with ample splashing to begin aeration, and finish off with the O2.

Same here... still on my first tank.
Maybe your valve leaked? I think it's best to leave the valve attached to the tank (tight) with valve fully closed.

I used to open it wide, was getting about 4 batches. I write the time used on the side in sharpie to keep track, about 3:30 plus the final batch on the last tank. Now I turn it barely past cracked open. I seem to be getting the same results fermentation wise but this tank is lasting far longer.

What do you guys do with the tanks when they're empty? I tried to take my empty back to the hardware store I bought it from, but they didn't know what to do with it. Surely I don't just throw it in the recycling bin, do I?

What do you guys do with the tanks when they're empty? I tried to take my empty back to the hardware store I bought it from, but they didn't know what to do with it. Surely I don't just throw it in the recycling bin, do I?

No, no, no. It goes in the garbage :D

I try to run my regulator as low as possible. I leave it on 30 seconds for my starters and 1 minute for my five gallon fermenters. My last tank lasted for 5 starters and 7 fermenters.

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but the point of aeration is to achieve your target ppm of oxygen in your wort, not to get the most batches out of a disposable canister (I also started with the small red canisters and a regulator from Williams).

When you are able, get yourself a large tank with a proper regulator so you can at least get close on your flow rates and estimated ppm.

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but the point of aeration is to achieve your target ppm of oxygen in your wort, not to get the most batches out of a disposable canister ...

Doh! How could we have missed that?? It's so obvious now! Stupid me :D

I thought the point was just to get a big foamy head on it so it looks more like a giant 5-gallon glass of beer :p

I hate to be Captain Obvious, but the point of aeration is to achieve your target ppm of oxygen in your wort, not to get the most batches out of a disposable canister (I also started with the small red canisters and a regulator from Williams).

When you are able, get yourself a large tank with a proper regulator so you can at least get close on your flow rates and estimated ppm.

Do you measure the oxygen saturation?

From Williams Brewing:

"The advantage of the Oxygen Aeration System is that the wort can be aerated to 80% of its oxygen holding capacity in just 50 seconds, something that takes our Air Aeration System 5 minutes to accomplish."

"One bottle will aerate 20 to 30 batches."

I definitely get at least 10 batches per tank. I run it with the regulator on a setting so I can just see the oxygen bubbles on the surface of the wort. I run it for 60 to 90 secs. I've never measured the O2 saturation, but my fermentations are good so I don't worry about it. I used to run it with the regulator fully open, and those fermentations weren't any better. My thought is that if the O2 bubbles are coming out of the surface of the wort then they are being wasted, and it also makes a crapload of foam.

I'm using mine full open for 1 minute for 5 gallon batches, and ending up with great fermentation.

I read somewhere that if you can see bubbles, you're wasting oxygen because it's not getting absorbed, so running it wide open may be a waste. Anyone else heard that?

I'd be happy if I could get 10 batches out of a bottle.

My thought is that if the O2 bubbles are coming out of the surface of the wort then they are being wasted, and it also makes a crapload of foam.

That is my thinking as well. If the oxygen is breaking the surface in big turbulent bubbles then it isn't being absorbed into the wort.

I definitely get at least 10 batches per tank. I run it with the regulator on a setting so I can just see the oxygen bubbles on the surface of the wort. I run it for 60 to 90 secs. I've never measured the O2 saturation, but my fermentations are good so I don't worry about it. I used to run it with the regulator fully open, and those fermentations weren't any better. My thought is that if the O2 bubbles are coming out of the surface of the wort then they are being wasted, and it also makes a crapload of foam.

Same here, except I never ran it wide open.

Resurrecting as I was puzzled by my first brew Tuesday after a long hiatus.

Unless I'm doing something like experimenting with open ferment with aeration (i.e., Yorkshire Square, which will be coming), I've always used O2 and a wand, and generally most batches have gotten a minute, in a converted sanke fermentor. Tuesday's brew was no different (intended to be 26P, actual way off - though I know why). I used WLP's Abbey IV, which calls for a better-than-average dO2, apparently.

I ran the tank at full tilt, intending on 2 minutes (normal would be one minute); without a flowmeter and a means of directly measuring dO2, I'm only guessing.

However, this tank tanked at 1 minute, almost to the second. I don't recall these little O2 tanks tapping so fast. I really don't want to be buying one for each batch. I may be forgetting. Is this normal? My guess is that I didn't run it full open previously, and I've just forgotten that.

Before getting a flow rate regulator I believe I was getting about 7 maybe 8 batches from a single red can. I used a .5u stone and would give it 2 minutes at a low flow rate. With the flow rate regulator I just did my 25th batch doing 2min of .5L/min. from my last tank, still not kicked.

I get 20-25 batches per bottle. I just have the simple regulator with no dial. I open it up about 3/4 of the way and when I see bubbles, let it go for 60s.

My first couple bottles lasted about three or four 60 second uses. I think that my regulator must leak a bit when connected. I started connecting it right before and disconnecting it right after use. I would say I am getting over twelve 60 second uses now.

I learned my lesson (like you^^^) in that the regulator leaks if left on the tank between uses. Expensive lesson, but I took off the tank after each use following that.

12 uses per tank is pretty good.....I may have gotten 6-8 so I was probably running too hard. Since then I have gotten a medical O2 tank with a flow regulator which is awesome if you can get one and have it filled.

OK thanks, guys. I think part of it is indeed that I goosed it but even then, I think that's weird - literally one 60 second blast and tank empty? I should add I attached it for the first time then and there, so that's out as a possibility. It's possible I was leaking while it was attached, too - will pay attention the next time. All good and helpful thoughts.

On the good side (in a way - I'd have preferred underpitching a bit but I missed the OG so this was a strong starter....!), signs of fermentation are pretty much over today. Giddy yeast.

No, no, no. It goes in the garbage :D
I throw mine in the recycling bin and they take it... must be recyclable somehow.

I'm not sure how many batches I get out of mine, maybe 10-15. I usually let it run for a minute or so to aerate.

I throw mine in the recycling bin and they take it... must be recyclable somehow.

I'm not sure how many batches I get out of mine, maybe 10-15. I usually let it run for a minute or so to aerate.

beersk (and others who go to a minute or so), are you choking back, or running it full on?

From the Wyeast website. Its a pretty good read. Below is just a snippet.

Method DO ppm Time
Siphon Spray 4 ppm 0 sec.
Splashing & Shaking 8 ppm 40 sec.
Aquarium Pump w/ stone 8 ppm 5 min
Pure Oxygen w/ stone 0-26ppm 60 sec

Personally I just hit my brews with a 30-45 second, partially open burst. I’ve tried a few fully open bursts, but the O2 is just going to atmosphere.

NGD funny you cite that, because I saw it either yesterday or brewday, can't recall which. It's a good read, as you say. Thanks for citing it.

I think next time I'll just pull it way back. Because I ferment in a sanke, I can't see anything but I can hear it, and I suspect most of what I accomplished is that I gave myself an O2 therapy session, lol. I'll pull it back and see what happens. A flowmeter like some of you lads have would be really nice.

I got my timing/amounts from one of the Brewing with style shows, Jamil said you need 1L/M for a 5gal batch. I also seen people post here that if you see excessive foam on top then you are wasting the o2 so I cut back to .5L/m to minimize foaming.

I use one of these with the CGA540 connector replaced with a hose barb and have it between a William type regulator and the stone. The pediatric regulators go down to low flow rates.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVO26C0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my timing/amounts from one of the Brewing with style shows, Jamil said you need 1L/M for a 5gal batch. I also seen people post here that if you see excessive foam on top then you are wasting the o2 so I cut back to .5L/m to minimize foaming.

I use one of these with the CGA540 connector replaced with a hose barb and have it between a William type regulator and the stone. The pediatric regulators go down to low flow rates.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVO26C0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Awesome! Thanks, ba-brewer!

Edit: You mean, you've modded the flowmeter nut somehow with a hosebarb, so you get tank-regulator-barb outlet-tubing - flowmeter barb inlet - barb outlet - wand or stone? If so, how did you mod it like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks, ba-brewer!

Edit: You mean, you've modded the flowmeter nut somehow with a hosebarb, so you get tank-regulator-barb outlet-tubing - flowmeter barb inlet - barb outlet - wand or stone? If so, how did you mod it like this?

Yes that is the right order of things, but I have a sanitary filter between the output of the flowmeter and wand/stone.

I removed the silver CGA540 nipple, it just unscrewed and replaced that with a hose barb. I wanted to use a nipple but the threads on the tank-regulator seemed funny. I did find an adapter that would fit on the CGA540 but it was as expensive as the flowmeter itself.

My shortest lasting tanks of oxygen did not contain any oxygen at all. This has happened 4x. People buy them, use them and return them to Home Depot for full credit. Then I buy them and exchange them. :mad:

I have a 20 cu ft tank and have never had to refill it. Still has about 1000 psi in it. I think it was 1800 when fresh.

*Always* close the main shutoff when not in use. Regulators typically have slow leaks, otherwise i'd probably still have 1700+ PSI in the tank.

beersk (and others who go to a minute or so), are you choking back, or running it full on?
I definitely don't run it full-on. I run it so there's light movement on the surface of the wort and move the wand around with some stirring.

IMG_0398.JPG
I also have a 20 cu ft O2 tank and haven't looked back (got tired of paying $10/ea for the disposable red cylinders). For safety reasons I shut off the main valve and safety chain it when not in use.

Back