How long does Star San last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
I just mixed up a batch of star san. Suppose I put it in a bucket with a lid and keep it at room temperature- how long can I keep using it and expect it to work as a sanitizer?

Starsan is an acid sanitizer. If the pH stays below 3.2, and you don't get visible dirt in the solution, it is good. Minerals in your water may turn it cloudy, but the pH is key to the solutions sanitizing ability. Time isn't a factor in whether or not it is still good.

For what it is worth, I only mix 1/2 ounce of Star-san into 2 gallons of water when I am brewing.
I will dump it after 24 hours (less if I won't need it in that time), why take a chance on your precious beer or wine all over 30 or 40 cents worth of Star-san?

For what it is worth, I only mix 1/2 ounce of Star-san into 2 gallons of water when I am brewing.
I will dump it after 24 hours (less if I won't need it in that time), why take a chance on your precious beer or wine all over 30 or 40 cents worth of Star-san?

Because you're not taking a chance. I make mine up with a gal of distilled water and then fill a spray bottle from that. Lasts for a long time.

Because you're not taking a chance. I make mine up with a gal of distilled water and then fill a spray bottle from that. Lasts for a long time.

I do have hard water, makes great beer but it is ruff on star-san.
I may try the distilled water in a spray bottle now that I am doing some wines that require constant attention.

Give it a try. A spray down of equipment I'm about to use works just fine, no need for soaking. Only things I soak anymore are bottle caps or I'll pour a half-cup into a carboy and swirl that around. I do keep mine in a glass gallon wine jug. Although both the water jug and star-san container are both made from HDPE, I've occasionally had a water jug deteriorate and spring a leak over time.

I'm thinking of putting my star san is a bottling bucket - which I don't need anymore since I kegging. Use it to sanitize a couple bottles at a time when I want make a couple bottles for friends to take with them. Also, to sanitize my theif when I want to take sample, and any other time I need to sanitize something...

Also - I did get the spray bottle. Handy.

2.5 gallon distilled water dispenser, pop the spout off, add half ounce of starsan replace spout and shake. Starsan from a spout on demand. I keep it that way on a shelf and use it to fill spray bottles or occasionally a small.bucket or container. It lasts a long time like that.

fwiw, I keep a five gallon lidded bucket filled with Star San + distilled water for months at a time, adding another gallon of mix when needed, before replacing it. I test the pH before a brew day, but honestly I've gone as long as six months and the mix is crystal clear and the pH stays below 3.

It's not an issue of cost, it's an issue of convenience...

Cheers!

On brew day I make up about a gallon of Starsan. One quart goes in a spray bottle, a pint or so into the carboy to swirl around, and the rest I pour into one of those long, plastic trays used for wallpaper. I can put things like siphons, tubing, wine thief, etc., in that tray.

What a waste!!

Back