How long does it take you to AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long?

• < than 3 hours (I'm super-human)

• 3-4 hours

• 4-5 hours

• 5-6 hours

• > 6 hours (I'm sub-human)

Results are only viewable after voting.
orfy said:
It will affect how fermentable the wort is. If I was making BMC then I'd leave it 90 minutes but I like malty brews. One of the reasons for mashing out is to stop the wort becoming too fermentable.

I realy think that 45 minutes is more than adequate and you can reduce this further.

So you are saying that a 30min mash @ 152 is contains just as much fermentable wort as a 60min mash @ 152?

About 5 hours for a 10G batch if things go good, 5 1/2 if there are any bumps in the road.

paulthenurse said:
It takes me more time to do an AG than it does to do an EF, by a considerable amount. Unless you factor in the time spent negotiating, then it evens up.

PTN

Yeah, but the cleanup is quicker with AG than EF. I try not to rush EF, whereas sometimes I only have a small window to AG...

I am usually in the 4 to 5 hr range for average size 5 gallon beers. I did do a RIS at 1.12 OG the other day ALL Grain!! I had 14 gallons pre boil that I boiled down to just under 6 gallons. This took all day but it was fun. I had three pots boiling away at about 15% boil off rate this was a long brew day. It will be so worth it in about 10 months(or more)

Jay

Evan! said:
Sanitizing is more of a pain in the ass with EF, you gotta admit. The last thing you want is an infection.

Definitely. I also recommend having keg lube on hand for EF...

I avg right around 3.5-4 hours. Right now it's more on the 3.5 hour side being that the ground water is so much cooler than during the heat of summer.

Takes me 5 to 6 hours. I try not to make it a race, rather I enjoy it and miss it once it is done.

BTW Orfy, that picture you posted showing Iodine and grain.... looks like there is a lot of uncrushed grain there. But I was wrong ONCE before :)

well I've only done 3 AG batchs thus far but my last I had down to about 4 hours 15 min. I felt that was pretty fast compared to my last couple 6 hour AG beasts :)

Today, first AG, 10:15am light burners for mash water. Lid on at 2:00pm.
Little let than 4 hours. I'm stoked!

I brewed a batch of stout on Sat., with a 13.5# grain bill. Here is the time schedule I ended up with:

30 minutes heat mash water - 4.5 gal. (crush malt at this time)
10 minutes stir in water, thoroughly
30 minutes rest - 126*
30 minutes raise to mash temp - 156*
60 minutes rest as mash temp (checked at 30 min)
heating sparge water during mash rest - 5 gal.
30 minutes raise to mash out temp - 168*
90 minutes sparge (should have been less - snafu - 1 pint per minute draw off instead of 1 quart per minute)
120 minute boil - needed this amount of time to reduced volume to 5 gal.
20 minutes cool & pitch yeast (1.063 SG)
------------------------------
grand total of 7 hours

I guess if I drop the protein rest and go right to 155* for the mash temp, correct my sparge time (figure about an hour regardless), and only have a 60 minute boil, that would get me into that 4 - 5 hour slot.

Not sure about my efficiency yet.

Here is my two cents. Length of time all graining is all about how and what you want to brew. For a lot of ale's a 30 mash is most likely good. For a Wheat bier some suggest a protein rest. So, a step mash is in order, this takes longer. And if you want to brew high gravity, then multiple mashes or lots of boil time are the plan of the day, unless you cheat a little and add extract. I think you get the picture. I tend to think that the time I spend all Graining is time well spent and enjoyed. So have fun and don't worry about the time just plan ahead and have a good time. S.

With the old steam injection system it takes about 4 hours to finish of cleanup for 6 gallon batch with 13.5Lb grain bill. It takes about 60 seconds to hit strike water temp at boiler outlet from cold start, and about 6 minutes to have strike water ready in mash tun.

10 Min fill water tank and heat strike water
5 Min Dough In
45 Min Conversion rest
45 Min Sparge/fill boil kettle and heat to boiling at end of sparge
1 Hr Boil
10 Min Cool& O2 injection
1 Hr Cleanup and sanitize CFC

Step mashing for 60+ percent wheat beers

10 Min fill water tank and heat strike water
5 Min Dough In
10 Min Protien rest@130 F
11 Min Step to conversion@154 F
30 Min Conversion rest
45 Min Sparge/fill boil kettle and heat to boiling at end of sparge
1 Hr Boil
10 Min Cool& O2 injection
1 Hr Cleanup and sanitize CFC

i did one in 6 hours last night, including prep time and clean-up and a 90 minute boil.

my fastest AG session yet. i think i could probably do it in 5 no problem, but i like to take my time if i have it.

i'm getting better at preheating water and cleaning/sanitizing/preparing while i'm mashing, boiling, etc.

:mug:

I usually start the clock when I get equipment out of the garage and stop it when everything is clean. For normal brews I can get this in 5 hours.

Back