How long does it take for yeast to "clean up" after themselves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surgicalbrews

Reaction score
So as a physician and new brewer (6months), I'm curious about all aspect of brewing, especially if it will lead to better beer! My question is how long does it take for yeast to clean up after themselves. I have read about a few days to a week, "it depends on the beer style", etc... Is there any evidence, or studies to prove or give the brewing community a real time table? Reason I ask is because I am brewing an IPA and some people say keg quickly, but what does that mean. How long after I hit terminal gravity do I let it sit and allow yeast to clean up their mess?

If you used a west coast ale yeast like WLP001 or the like and fermented in the 60s, I think it is fine to hit gravity (5-10 days), rack to secondary (or not), dry hop 5 days, then cold crash a couple of days (or not) and bottle. Give it at least two weeks in the bottle if you are bottle conditioning. That is my favorite schedule for a fresh, hoppy IPA. Got a Red IPA i am crashing right now. Bottling Monday then off to Engand for a few weeks and home for a nice fresh IPA. ;)

I would trust your pallet. If you have healthy ferment it can be quick and if it tastes good go for it. I usually don't leave my beers longer than two weeks but it is mostly because I'm too impatient with too much time on my hands

If I had proper temp control, I don't think I'd worry worry about giving the yeast clean up time. Temp control will minimize the production of those compounds that need to get cleaned up.

Depends on the yeast, temperature, amount of sugar the yeast needs to eat(ABV),amount of yeast pitched, if you made a starter, how old the yeast is, how many times you uses (generations) the yeast, and did you use any clarifying agents like warflock? I must of missed some, but that will get you started. You want to go fast? Use WL007 and cold crash in a week. When your are at FG Rack the beer to a keg, then cold crash the keg in another week, then crank the pressure up and blow 2 yeasty beers out the keg.

Depends on the yeast, temperature, amount of sugar the yeast needs to eat(ABV),amount of yeast pitched, if you made a starter, how old the yeast is, how many times you uses (generations) the yeast, and did you use any clarifying agents like warflock? I must of missed some, but that will get you started. You want to go fast? Use WL007 and cold crash in a week. When your are at FG Rack the beer to a keg, then cold crash the keg in another week, then crank the pressure up and blow 2 yeasty beers out the keg.

This is dead on. Just remember that there are some things that can be cleaned up if they are present in small amounts (acetaldehyde, diacetyl) and some things that will never clean up (fusels). Acetaldehyde or diacetyl in huge amounts might be reduced but not eliminated.

It would be a good idea to check the yeast manufacturer's site for recommendations about a 'diacetyl rest' for your strain. Depending on the strain, it may or may not be needed.

In general, you aren't going to go wrong if you leave your beer in the primary longer than what you think is the bare minimum. I've often left beers in the primary for three weeks.

Sounds like there is not one universal answer as I expected. I usually drink my brews at 6 weeks. One-two weeks primary, rack for one-two weeks, cold crash and keg condition for 3 weeks and drink. I have a two tap kegerator with 4 kegs and realized that if I brew every three weeks I will always have a beer on deck, since it takes me about 6 weeks to drink a keg, soon as one kicks the new one is on deck. But I have realized that the is great variability in the fermentation times, conditioning times, etc. anyway thanks for the info!

Sounds like there is not one universal answer as I expected. I usually drink my brews at 6 weeks. One-two weeks primary, rack for one-two weeks, cold crash and keg condition for 3 weeks and drink. I have a two tap kegerator with 4 kegs and realized that if I brew every three weeks I will always have a beer on deck, since it takes me about 6 weeks to drink a keg, soon as one kicks the new one is on deck. But I have realized that the is great variability in the fermentation times, conditioning times, etc. anyway thanks for the info!

I don't thing there is conflicting advice, it just depends on the process you are using. If you have proper temp control, the yeast don't really need to clean up as there isn't much to clean up.

I'm drinking most of my brews after 12-14 days...temp control allows this.

Ya that is a very good point. Unfortunately I don't have a fermentation room that temp controlled. I use my basement which is consistently 65-74 degrees, usually on the lower end under 70, with about 60-70% humidity. Last IPA fermented at 66-70 with an internal temp of 72-73. Oh and a side note, today I tried my first all grain batch, hoppy amber ale which I'm calling either The Ging or amber alert, and it is amazing! I feel like my extract brews were giving me that twang people talk about! Not sure if its real but I can taste the similarities among all my extract brews even though they are all completely different styles. Anyway, I'm so glad I got I to all grain, best decision this far.

Surgicalbrews said:
Anyway, I'm so glad I got I to all grain, best decision this far.

Yep, all grain makes a big difference and fermenting with a clean yeast at the right temp.

Latest posts

Back