How Long Does Gelatin Take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long does gelatin REALLY take to clear 5 gallons of beer? I've seen instructions saying 24 hours, but experience tells me this is BS. What's the real number?

When I put it into a keg and shake shake shake it drops clear PDQ. Not sure if 24 hours, but not much longer.

I would always use add it to the secondary 3-4 days prior to bottling. no moving the carboy after that. Good results and pretty clear beer.

No experience with kegging.

I use in the fermenter after cold crash to 35-40F. Have kegged after 24 hours, after a week, and multiple times in between.

Beer is clear at any of these intevals. 24 hours is fine, diminishing returns after that. Just make sure to mix well and to add when beer is cold!

It normally takes 3 days for my Pilsners to become brilliant with gelatin. It is added to the serving keg, with the beer at 32 F.

+1 to what was said above, but it can also depend on other things; such as the strain of yeast, did you dry hop, how long of a cold crash, etc. I can get Lutra or a traditional lager yeast-fermented beer (no dry hop) clear in two-three days, same with Nottingham (my go-to ale yeast), using gelatin. However, I've recently started using the new Lallemand Novalager, and that yeast takes at least 4-5 days to be what I would call 'clear'. First one is now eight days in the keg and is fairly clear, but not what I would call bright. Don't care, it tastes phenomenal.

I would always use add it to the secondary 3-4 days prior to bottling. no moving the carboy after that. Good results and pretty clear beer.

No experience with kegging.
Is this sitting at lager temps or higher?

Latest posts

Back