How long does brew day take you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I do all all grain and with clean up am usually done in 4 hrs usually.

What's your process length?

I assume you guys have propane burners? If I'm running all-grain, working with my stovetop I end up @ 6-7 hours from start to finish.

Yep, SQ14 bayou classic. Batch sparge as well with usually a 60 minute boil.

I am NEVER that efficient! I'm usually at 6 or more...if I'm brewing outside it's hauling out my rig and then clean up that gets me. If I'm brewing inside it's the longer boil & chilling time that gets me. I'm sure I could get it lower if I was very focused and organized, but alas, I'm not very focused and organized!

Yep, SQ14 bayou classic. Batch sparge as well with usually a 60 minute boil.

Same here. Got it for $50 with free shipping to the store from Ace! Great burner. I have since cannibalized it to put the burner into my stand, but I'm about to put it back and install another burner on the stand.

I use to try to get done as fast as possible and was probably around 4hrs but now I would rather be lazy and now it takes me better part of the day. I weigh grain then chill then weigh hops and chill then measure water and chill and so on and so fourth till I finally finish lol!

Between 4-5 hrs, All Grain on stove top. The key is to keep busy during any down time, I wash and sanitize everything as soon as I'm finished using it.

Full 6-8 hours.

That includes developing the recipe on brew day morning, weighing and milling the grain, two sparges, and a 90-minute boil (sometimes 120-minute), transferring/pitching and all cleanup.

Like Thadius, easily 6 hours from milling to cleanup and put everything away.

Today I am attempting 1.5 hours total with an extract recipe and no-chill. I will report back.

--- edit ---
Yep, it took almost exactly 1.5 hours for an extract batch from milling to clean up. The kettle is cooling in the 20F weather outside.

This extract stuff is fun! All my previous batches have been BIAB all grain, except for the first three Mr. Beer kits in the distant past.

I do BIAB, no-chill. Assuming a 60min mash and 60min boil, I would say 3-4 hours, sometimes more.

No telling. I'm always doing something weird. Smoking grain. Zesting fruits. Cereal mashing. Maybe 5-6 hours. Maybe eight or more.

It depends on the batch I'm brewing. Most take right around four to five hours (grind to pitch), including clean up. However, when I partigyle it turns into closer to 8 hours--but I get two different batches from the same brew day. I have two burners and two kettles for those batches.

Grind to pitch typically 5.5 to 6 hours for 10 gallon batches. I fly sparge so this adds quite allot of extra time but it worth it to me.

No telling. I'm always doing something weird. Smoking grain. Zesting fruits. Cereal mashing. Maybe 5-6 hours. Maybe eight or more.
Like Zuljin, there's always something to add to the time spent brewing. This isn't a job. I don't brew for speed or even necessarily for beer. Brewday is playday. The longer the better.

I brew all-grain and my brew days typically lasts 6-8 hours.

My processed is pretty dialed in. I multi-task and clean during as needed. I have the Tower of Power with my Top Tier, so that adds about another 45 minutes to my cleaning regimen (recirculating PBW, Rinse and StarSan through the pump and such).

I see these "how long does your brew day take" threads pop up from time to time and I'm always puzzled. Would people ask "how long does it take you to fish?" or "how long did it take you to ski today?".

Brewing is a hobby and activity that I enjoy - so I'm not actively working to make it uber-efficient. I'd compare brewing to sex - I'm grateful when I get the chance to do it so I'm not interested in finishing quickly. :)

I try to wring efficiencies out of process, but I can never get below 6 hours from the moment I turn the flame in to the moment when everything is cleaned up and put away.

And that's when its warm out and the hose is usable so I can wash the mash tun, etc during the boil. This time of year, it takes even longer b/c I have to lug everything inside and wash it the laundry sink.

My processed is pretty dialed in. I multi-task and clean during as needed. I have the Tower of Power with my Top Tier, so that adds about another 45 minutes to my cleaning regimen (recirculating PBW, Rinse and StarSan through the pump and such).

I see these "how long does your brew day take" threads pop up from time to time and I'm always puzzled. Would people ask "how long does it take you to fish?" or "how long did it take you to ski today?".

Brewing is a hobby and activity that I enjoy - so I'm not actively working to make it uber-efficient. I'd compare brewing to sex - I'm grateful when I get the chance to do it so I'm not interested in finishing quickly. :)

Bravo! You sir have made it into the HBT Official Memorable Quotes Thread!

I agree but brought it up because if I'm more efficient (4 hrs or so per brew) I can brew more. If it takes me half the day there is no way I could brew more than every 4-6 wks due to SWMBO

So, you have to ask yourself. Would you rather have really good sex once a week or go quickly through the motions every night?

Damn! That's a tough question. :cross:

I do BIAB and since I don't have a dedicated place to brew I have to haul gear up from the basement to the garage, and then back again afterwards. It makes for a 5-6 hour brew day. Which is fine as I'm not in any hurry and like to enjoy listening to tunes and having a couple brews while I'm brewing.

Double decoction and a stuck mash yesterday. Ended up taking me 8 hours from start to finish.

Usual brew day is about 6 hours .

When I first started all grain brewing, I tried to keep it short as possible and would do 4 hour single infusion mashes.
Then I got into step infusions, the days got longer and I just went with the flow.
not being as anal as I once was, and enjoying myself a lot more, I would say 6 to 7 hours, but then now I am also doing other things during steps or the boil so I think it probably has gotten shorter when you compare time dedicated to being around the system.

I agree but brought it up because if I'm more efficient (4 hrs or so per brew) I can brew more. If it takes me half the day there is no way I could brew more than every 4-6 wks due to SWMBO

This, If I could consistently brew in 4 hours I would be able to fit it in on a weeknight! Between work and commuting I am away from my house 65+ hours during the week. My weekend time is precious. I probably average 5-6 hours. I have tried to get the elusive 4, and was on pace once, but my mashtun was poorly situated and fell causing a large mess!

People who can do all grain in 4 hours do you already have the recipe, grains wieghed out? How long does it take you to get your water up to temps? Do you have a stationary brew rig?

A HUGE part of my time issue is having to use the kitchen sink for cleaning - meaning carefully transport items which need to be cleaned upstairs. As well as setup/breakdown time. I think to get to the 4 hour mark I will need a utility sink and stationary brew rig, which I do plan on getting for my work in progress electric setup downstairs!

I could trim my day down to 4-5 hours if I had my recipes built, grain pulled, wetted and milled ahead of time. Also, hop additions pulled and weighed out.

But I don't. I mean, I store 300-400# of grain at a time so I can build my own recipes on the fly. That's part of the fun. :)

This, If I could consistently brew in 4 hours I would be able to fit it in on a weeknight! Between work and commuting I am away from my house 65+ hours during the week. My weekend time is precious. I probably average 5-6 hours. I have tried to get the elusive 4, and was on pace once, but my mashtun was poorly situated and fell causing a large mess!

Some of the eBrew guys have ridiculously short heating times. 20 minutes saved here, 20 minutes saved there... I think it probably adds up.

I could trim my day down to 4-5 hours if I had my recipes built, grain pulled, wetted and milled ahead of time. Also, hop additions pulled and weighed out.

But I don't. I mean, I store 300-400# of grain at a time so I can build my own recipes on the fly. That's part of the fun. :)

Ya, that has been part of my problem. Due to lack of time my schedule will randomly free up and I realize, "Oh i have time to brew" but then I have to craft the receipe, figure out my salt additions etc...just adding time. Having a recipe ready to go makes a pretty big difference

Some of the eBrew guys have ridiculously short heating times. 20 minutes saved here, 20 minutes saved there... I think it probably adds up.

Ya, thats a big time saver. I am hoing to have some fast heating times once I move to electric

Depends on if I am drinking, have friends brewing as well... With the previous, 5-6, without 4-4.25 is normal for me

Rick

5-6 hours from the time I put the strike water on the burner until I put the fermenter in my basement brew room. Size of the batch changes from 5.5 -11 gallons

3.5-4 hrs if cleaning and cooling are included.

Fastest was 2.5hrs, with a no chill and dealing with pitching the next day.

Keeping in mind - these are small batches, done indoors, multiple things going on at the same time (everything is on a chart for start/stop times), and no drinking while brewing. Fastest way I know to get out of groove and start missing steps/times is to crack open a beer - that's when everything starts to fall apart. :eek: Beer goes well with cleanup.

If I stepped up the volume to a normal 5gal batch, I could see where 4hrs would be an average time depending on how fast/many burners you can keep fired up.

With two little kids, a full work schedule that cuts into family time, and a Honey-Do list that keeps growing I need to be effecient if I want to keep my new hobby.

This thread has definitely given me something to think about.
I have brewed 10 times, all extract brews, mostly with the MrBeer kits and it basically takes 45 minutes. Sometimes an hour, if I'm really disorganized.
These are 2 gallon batches that take me 2.5 to 3.5 hours to bottle, later.
If brewing twice as much beer (5 gallons) takes 3 to 8 times as long to brew, then I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the time and expense.
Well, maybe I just don't drink enough!

This thread has definitely given me something to think about.

I have brewed 10 times, all extract brews, mostly with the MrBeer kits and it basically takes 45 minutes. Sometimes an hour, if I'm really disorganized.

These are 2 gallon batches that take me 2.5 to 3.5 hours to bottle, later.

If brewing twice as much beer (5 gallons) takes 3 to 8 times as long to brew, then I'm not sure I'll be able to justify the time and expense.

Well, maybe I just don't drink enough!

Even when I brewed full boil 5 gallon extract batches it took a few hours to bring to a boil, boil 60 minutes, chill, pitch the yeast and clean up. All grain is definitely a bigger investment in time but I think it's well worth it.

If you are thinking that a longer brew day is a bad thing, you might want to reconsider this hobby. It's supposed to be interesting and enjoyable, whether it takes 2 hours or 6 hours to brew.

Lots of worthwhile hobbies take time to do: hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. There's no instant gratification.

Today's brew there were no problems, took 6 hours on the dot from setup through cleanup. I'm faster in the summer when I'm doing everything outside and I don't have to worry about keeping the kitchen clean and orderly.

And it's my recipe that came out of my head. That's one of the benifits of all-grain vs. someone's prehopped extract kit.

There are lots of good points to this thread, for me it takes 4.5 to 6 hrs, if I'm brewing late at night by myself and can focus its shorter but if I'm trying to live life while brewing it takes longer but then I can usually get my kids to help clean up.

I usually don't really pay attention to how long it takes, I'm done when I'm done, I plan on it taking all day and if I'm done before dinner woo hoo for me.

If you are thinking that a longer brew day is a bad thing, you might want to reconsider this hobby. It's supposed to be interesting and enjoyable, whether it takes 2 hours or 6 hours to brew.

Lots of worthwhile hobbies take time to do: hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. There's no instant gratification.

I don't think time is mutually exclusive with the hobby being interesting and enjoyable. I understand what you are saying, but it is coming across as "if you are trying to make things go faster you aren't enjoying the hobby." I dont think that is the case for anyone here. In fact, I think a lot of people in the hobby have a scarcity in the "time" department and being able to shortening the brewday would allow them to take more interest and find more enjoyment in the hobby. To each their own :mug:

Latest posts

Back