how long does base malt last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
I bought a sack of 2-row last year and stuck it in a fairly air-tight tupperware bin. Then I had to move over the summer. I didn't brew for about 6 months, the malt sat in the garage over the summer in the bin. Now Im ready to brew but its been sitting for around 8 months.

Is there any quick way to tell whether the malt has gone bad? Smells good, I ate a few grains, still crisp, not overly chewy.

I think my plan is to brew a mild or something cheep with it so I don't invest a bunch of money in shot grain. anything I should be looking for? off-flavors? low conversion etc?

I bought a sack of 2-row last year and stuck it in a fairly air-tight tupperware bin. Then I had to move over the summer. I didn't brew for about 6 months, the malt sat in the garage over the summer in the bin. Now Im ready to brew but its been sitting for around 8 months.

Is there any quick way to tell whether the malt has gone bad? Smells good, I ate a few grains, still crisp, not overly chewy.

I think my plan is to brew a mild or something cheep with it so I don't invest a bunch of money in shot grain. anything I should be looking for? off-flavors? low conversion etc?

If it tastes good, and is not stale tasting or soggy, it's fine to use. It shouldn't cause any issues at all.

I still have some 2-row that's been in a 5-gallon bucket w/Gamma Seal lid for 18 months. Still tastes fine and makes great beer. Keeping it in an airtight enclosure is key.

I made the mistake of buying a sack of it, when I just don't go through it fast enough.

Same here.

I've got lots of base malt that's well over a year old. No issues whatsoever. I store it in non-airtight sealed plastic bins in a dark dry room at ~65-75F.

Latest posts

Back