How long does a starter last ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I was told to use a starter after 3 days ... well it has been about 7 ... have a nice yeast fomation at the bottom, but I think that I have lost the opportunity of pitching happy, active yeast.

I hope to brew this weekend ... is it too late ?? If so, I'll make another tomorrow for a Saturday session..

Throw a little more wort in it, right now, and get it active again. If not just use it tomorrow, it will just take a little bit more time to get going.

Even if it's not an "active" starter, it is still an increased cell count. It's kind of like pitching 5 vials of WL yeast.

Not a problem at all, really. In fact I usually leave it on the stirplate for three days, then let it settle for two before I pitch. I like the yeast to have to go through at least a little bit of reproduction before they start going hog wild on the wort.

Back