How long does 5lb Co2 last you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbama

Reaction score
How long does 5lb Co2 last you?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should be able to get 10-15 corny kegs out of a full 5lb CO2 bottle. Now this is considering that everything is ideal in your setup. (your system is airtight with no leakage, minimal headspace when carbing kegs, etc.) I have yet to get this number of kegs out of one 5 gal bottle, but more like 10 due to purging prior to filling my kegs or minimal leakage I suspect.

you use about 1/2 lb to carb and serve each 5 gal keg. Most have 2 tanks so they never run out; running out will happen at the worst possible time.

I've lost count, but I never get 10. I'm on my fourth bottle and I'm nowhere near 40 batches since I bought my setup, I don't think I've even done 20. 1 bottle leaked empty on the 2nd batch, one on the 5th or maybe it was just done. The third lasted a while but I wasn't counting. I'm on my 3rd batch on the 4th bottle at this point.

I keep 2 tanks of propane but still manage to run out when I've got prime porterhouse on the grill...

Thanks for the info folks. I am new to kegging and got 1.5 kegs to 5 # of CO2. No doubt I have issues I need to address.

Thanks for the info folks. I am new to kegging and got 1.5 kegs to 5 gal of CO2. No doubt I have issues I need to address.

Leaks suck. I have a spray bottle of starsan that I use to check connections. My co2 tanks usually last at least 5 with force carbing and cleaning my lines. Leaks have led to one keg for a 5# tank on two occasions. Those were expensive screwed ups.

Back