How long do you ferment Wyeast 3711 for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewMoisen

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison last year with Wyeast 3711 that I absolutely loved. I think I let it ferment for 3-4 weeks in the fermentor and 1-2 weeks in bottles before trying them.

This year I brewed a nearly identical Saison, except for these variables:
  • Hops were 15% stronger
  • OG was 5 points lower
  • Fermentation time was 2 weeks
  • I kegged instead of bottled

I'm pretty disappointed this time around. It doesn't have any off flavors but it just isn't nearly as good as before. I do not expect to show this off to anyone. The best way I can describe it is that it simply doesn't have as much of that Saison funk as my previous batch did, and I'm at a loss to explain why. Perhaps the stronger hops relative to the lower alcohol content is covering up the Saison funk? For some reason I think it has to do with the fermentation time.

How long do you ferment your Wyeast 3711 for?

A combination of things affect the flavour.

The starting gravity, aeration, temperature and yeast cell count will all change the flavours the yeast produces.

I ferment for 2 weeks and then bottle and carbonate for another 2 weeks before bottle conditioning for as long as I can. If you bottle condition cold it'll smooth things out. However, the fermentation is where all the interesting flavours come through.

I kegged a saison a couple weeks ago that i used 3711 in. I had some issues come up and it sat in my fermentor for 6 weeks before I was able to keg it. It's a very good beer. If I use it again I'll give it at least 4 weeks.

Most other yeasts,2 week ferment and then bottle. I tend to start drinking at no more than ten days in the bottle.
3711 makes me change my process,as early on it tends to give off hefeweizen flavours and aromas.
Three week ferment.
Three weeks in the bottle.

I did a brew last year with 3711. The gravity dropped 3 points between weeks 3 and 5. It's a slow mover. Takes a while to fully develop. I always give it time.

I'd look at fermentation temp, as noted above. I found best results with 3711 when I started at 68-70 and finished at 74-75.

I also bet that bottle conditioning had an impact. The bottle fermentation trapped volatile aromas and increase the yeast sediment you'll get in a glass, both of which could give it a more saison-like aroma.

IME, saisons need time to condition. Whether kegged or bottle conditioned. I've only kegged 2 of them but have bottled +50 different ones because I've found they age much better in the bottle. It always takes a bit for the green flavors to fade out in the bottle, but with saisons, the green flavors seems to come out as bubblegum/banana hefe-like flavors which still makes them drinkable while young.

If you are kegging, it may condition at a different rate but I would still give it more time. How long have you had this thing sitting to condition? was it cold or warm?

It always takes a bit for the green flavors to fade out in the bottle, but with saisons, the green flavors seems to come out as bubblegum/banana hefe-like flavors which still makes them drinkable while young.

QUOTE]

I've found this too with 3711, particularly if you have a bit of wheat in the grain bill.

They might taste fairly full early on but the hop flavours don't quite mix in and can be a bit muddled. They can then dry out quite a lot as the sediment falls.

After conditioning I find 3711 and Belle Saison can sometimes be a bit too dry for my liking.

I got the early banana thing with 3726, but I don't get it at all with 3724. I actually like the DuPont fresh. It has a spicier flavor when there is some yeast haze. Once it drops clear, it moves to the fruity, white wine flavors. It's been a while since I've used 3711 so no help there.

Back