How long Can you Store Yeast from a Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Too make a long story short, I got a new job and moved. I had a nice big starter of WLP007 going before my move and never got to brew. It was a 3 liter starter I stepped up. So I cold crashed the starter decanted the liquid and washed the yeast. I then stored it in a 1/2 pint container in my refrigerator.

This is almost 3 months old, I am wondering if I can just pitch this yeast directly into wort or if I should make a starter again? This yeast looks nice and creamy like it should.

I would think its good but there's no swapping the peace of mind that comes from creating a starter to prove viability.

With washed yeast, I make a new starter if it has been sitting for more than a week. I know some people say you can leave it for longer than that, but that's what I do and I've never had any problems with that method.

-a.

I suppose I could make a 2 quart 1.040 starter to get the part started 2 days before brewday just to be sure.

Too make a long story short, I got a new job and moved. I had a nice big starter of WLP007 going before my move and never got to brew. It was a 3 liter starter I stepped up. So I cold crashed the starter decanted the liquid and washed the yeast. I then stored it in a 1/2 pint container in my refrigerator.

This is almost 3 months old, I am wondering if I can just pitch this yeast directly into wort or if I should make a starter again? This yeast looks nice and creamy like it should.

I can only say what I'd do if it were mine. 3 liters of fresh wort is cheaper than 5gal. Pitch the yeast to a 3 liter starter, then wash to get rid of dead cells and off flavors, then go from there....

I put the yeast in a 2 liter starter that I am going to step up to a gallon yesterday evening. As I was preparing the starter, the yeast in the washed jar started to bubble up and show signs of life when I set out to come to room temp. That is when I knew things were going to be just fine.

Now, about 10 hours later the starter has krausen and things are rocking.

So, 4 months is obviously not an issue if the yeast is stored properly.

Latest posts

Back