How long can you store Starsan solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
I was thinking about creating a batch of starsan and keeping it stored in a 5 gallon air tight container but the last time i left my equipment in the solution for 2 days there was this filmy oily residue all over the lines and hydrometer.

I bring that up because i'm curious if the solution if NOT left open (i.e. no oxygen) would produce the same oily residue. So far i've only dumped the solution once sanitation was complete.

I'm just not keen on paying out the wazoo for the solution every couple of batches if it can be saved. I can sacrifice the space needed for storage if it saves me a couple bucks. Plus, i'll always have a sanitized fermentation bucket if an expert here can answer my question favorably.

when my carboys are not in use i put a cup or two of starsan in the bottom, plug them, shake it around, and store it. starsan naturally has a "slippery" feel. i would liken it to soap moreso then oil.

i also use a corney keg to make few gallon batches of it for use on brew day. it keeps indefinately like as far as i can tell.

i was told the rule of thumb for starsan is- if it foams when you shake it, its still good. if its old enough that it doesnt produce any bubbles after some agitation, dump it and make a new batch.

According to the dude who invented and manufactures starsan, it is good for months, if mixed up in distilled water. The minerals in your water can bring the pH down over time is what he said (I believe). If you have a pH meter and the pH is under 3.5 you are good.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

The podcast is very informative, and I would highly recommend it.

Having looked into this same issue myself a few months ago, I came to this conclusion:

If the starsan is clear (not cloudy) and the pH is under 3.5 it's good. Usually, this means I can make a few gallons last a few months easy. That's without being sealed. No contamination problems yet.

but the last time i left my equipment in the solution for 2 days there was this filmy oily residue all over the lines and hydrometer.

Not a good idea to leave equipment soaking in there for days.

If the starsan is clear (not cloudy) and the pH is under 3.5 it's good. Usually, this means I can make a few gallons last a few months easy. That's without being sealed. No contamination problems yet.

Cloudy is not necessarily a sign that the solution is bad, a lot of peoples water will cloud the solution and the product is still fine.
That's why I use distilled water, it will last month's and month's. The ph statement is correct.

_

I know the equipment being left for days isn't ideal, i just wasn't able to get to it in time. Besides discoloring the vinyl racking tubes, the solution is acid based...

If I mix StarSan with my tap water, it turns cloudy within a few minutes. It's still perfectly fine and I have used it to sanitize for a couple of days afterwards.

I have also mixed up a batch of StarSan with RO water and left it in a spray bottle 4-5 months ago. It's still crystal clear.

I've never had a problem storing it for 2-3 months, but I do dip a ph strip into it once it's been around a while to make sure its still blazingly acidic.

I once had a cheap turkey baster break down when stored in starsan for about a day. The rigid plastic tube was fine but the softer rubber end started to disolve, almost melt. I threw it out, and now generally don't leave anything in the solution for extended periods of time. I also stopped using cheap turkey basters!

Interestingly enough, i left my aluminum boil kettle full of the solution overnight with my yeast collection bottles soaking and it took the oxide layer off my pot and left a thick, slimy residue on everything that was in there. the solution was extremely cloudy. Another lesson learned.:tank:

Get the cheapie pH strips & test it. Although mine turns cloudy immediately w/ tap water, the pH tells me its good for at least 2 months. I've had a 1/2 gallon jug made w/ distilled water (for filling my spray bottle) for at least 6 months-still crystal clear, still turns the strips red.

-d

Latest posts

Back