how long can you cold crash a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
so here's my dilemma...

a buddy and i are going to be brewing 2 larger beers in a few weeks (a 5gal Quad and a 5gal Imperial BIPA) that are both going to require large starters.

i only have 1 5L flask and 1 stirplate. Can i make one of the starters like 7-8 days in advance, transfer to sanitized container after 2-3 days to cold crash so that i can free up my flask/stir plate, to make the second starter and have that one also cold crash in time?

essentially the first starter would be cold crashed for potentially 4-5 days...

has anyone made starters that far in advance and still have good success? i was thinking that when they're pulled out of fridge and decanted on brew day, to throw them both on stirplate for a few hours just to rouse everything back up prior to pitching?

Any guidance to make this double big beer brew day successful would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,

I think up to a week in the fridge is fine. I have done it many times with smaller beers, 5-6℅ ABV and activity is visible within 7-12 hours.

4 - 5 days in the fridge isn't that long. Take harvested yeast, for example, it's good up to a couple of months or more before starting to lose viability.

Technically some percentage of yeast cells will perish in that short period but nothing to be concerned about.

In other words, Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

I cant see it really being different then storing harvested yeast. I've successfully used harvested yeast that was 2 months old and just fridge kept. Others have posted using year old yeast and using a stir plate to build it up. So I'd guess 5 days shouldn't be an issue.

Use the stir plate for one starter and a large jar for the other to start them at the same time. The large jar is the Shaken Not Stirred method of doing a starter.

I had a starter cold-crashed for two weeks and it had no problems on my brew day. I didn't do anything special other than letting it get up to room temp and maybe swirling it around a little bit.

4 - 5 days in the fridge isn't that long. Take harvested yeast, for example, it's good up to a couple of months or more before starting to lose viability.

Technically some percentage of yeast cells will perish in that short period but nothing to be concerned about.

In other words, Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

D'oh - I used to harvest yeast....Don't even know why I didn't think of that! Probably because I would harvest enough to start up another starter, not to directly pitch.

Thanks!!

Use the stir plate for one starter and a large jar for the other to start them at the same time. The large jar is the Shaken Not Stirred method of doing a starter.

That's a good point too. You figure...6days shaken not stirred equals about 2 days stir plate?

I've used yeast that crashed for a month in the fridge. As long as your cell count was a little higher than necessary (to allow for some mortality) you're good to go. On brew day you might want to decant 80% and throw it in a stir plate while you brew. It will bring the temp up and wake it up a bit.

+1

OP I am in the same boat as you, 1 stir plate and 1 flask. I just use a sanitized growler with some aluminum foil and swirl it when I walk by 4-5 times per day.

+1

OP I am in the same boat as you, 1 stir plate and 1 flask. I just use a sanitized growler with some aluminum foil and swirl it when I walk by 4-5 times per day.

And you've had good success? Obviously you're doing this longer than a typical 48hr stirplate starter?

I have done this a few times. Usually a couple days is more than enough to buildup your yeast to a healthy strong count.

Back